Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone that has gone from the mini form factor to “smallest” 13 or 14 sized phones, can you comment on the adjustments? Have a 12 mini that’s at 81% battery capacity and my 13 mini is at 86%. I’m afraid this will be the upgrade cycle where I need to bite the bullet and get the 15. I don’t prefer the bulge of all the cameras (and pricing) to get any sort of pro. I also go caseless/back pocket most of the time (might finally spring for apple care). Seems the size of the 14 will be an adjustment for me but will be better with battery life and some other features.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
You can also replace the batteries and keep using them :) they are still very capable. If you want to stay in the Apple ecosystem you have no option than going to the 14/15 form factor. My wife has the normal 13, and to be honest, is not so big compared to my mini. I would probably adapt quickly.

Reactions: ag21

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
The switch shouldn't be too bad. I actually appreciated the larger screen size when dealing with certain apps (although nothing will beat the form factor of the mini generally speaking).

You won't notice too much of a difference and will adjust quickly. The thing that would throw you off the most is going to a pro model, just because of the massive weight difference.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I bought a 12 mini at launch day and had a 13 mini until earlier this year. It takes a couple of days, but you'll get used to it.

I still really miss the mini form factor but really enjoy the battery life improvement that comes with the bigger phones.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Anyone picking up a mini to have as a backup before they discontinue
I'm thinking about it. My iPhone basically does three things for me:
  1. Camera
  2. CarPlay
  3. Audio source (for MFi hearing aids)
From a hardware perspective, #2 and #3 could be handled by an Apple Watch (obvs battery would be an issue). But there's no practical way for a watch to replace the camera on an iPhone.

I'm thinking of giving up the "Better camera" on the pro model. My thinking is - if I'm going to lug around a slab the size of a 15 Pro Max all the time (not just when I need a camera), I may as well just get a DSLR and get REAL quality photos when I need them. The 13 mini camera will be fine for ad-hoc use.

Reactions: tunastink

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I'm thinking about it. My iPhone basically does three things for me:
  1. Camera
  2. CarPlay
  3. Audio source (for MFi hearing aids)
From a hardware perspective, #2 and #3 could be handled by an Apple Watch (obvs battery would be an issue). But there's no practical way for a watch to replace the camera on an iPhone.

I'm thinking of giving up the "Better camera" on the pro model. My thinking is - if I'm going to lug around a slab the size of a 15 Pro Max all the time (not just when I need a camera), I may as well just get a DSLR and get REAL quality photos when I need them. The 13 mini camera will be fine for ad-hoc use.
so youll get a mini and a 15 PM too?

MagicTorch

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
UK
I think you would likely adjust pretty quickly. Currently have a 12 mini (since launch). Think I will likely upgrade to the 15 Pro when it launches. Prior to the 12 mini, I had an iPhone X. I loved the X, but always thought it was just slightly too big (had a 5S prior to X). Thought that the 12 mini would be perfect for me, but was surprised to discover (pretty quickly), that I missed the bigger screen of iPhone X. I’ve stuck with the 12 Mini & I do like it (especially how is easy it is to put in your pocket, to hold & use for payments), but I am now ready to embrace the larger screen again. My thinking is that the very slightly thinner bezel & lighter weight of titanium (on the 15 Pro) will help to make the transition from mini to ‘regular’ size as comfortable as possible

Reactions: bevsb2 and kp98077

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Went from the 12 mini to the 13 pro and it wasn’t bad as far as size. I still haven’t adjusted to the weight but that wouldn’t be a problem if you go with the standard 14/15. I never fully adjusted to the smaller screen/keyboard on the mini so going to 6.1 was no issue. I make fewer typing mistakes on the larger screen. I did prefer the size/shape of the 11 pro with 5.8” screen and rounded sides. Still hopeful we could get a pro mini at some point in the future with 5.7-5.8 screen. It would make sense if they move the smaller pro up to 6.3 next year.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Went from the 12 mini to the 13 pro and it wasn’t bad as far as size. I still haven’t adjusted to the weight but that wouldn’t be a problem if you go with the standard 14/15. I never fully adjusted to the smaller screen/keyboard on the mini so going to 6.1 was no issue. I make fewer typing mistakes on the larger screen. I did prefer the size/shape of the 11 pro with 5.8” screen and rounded sides. Still hopeful we could get a pro mini at some point in the future with 5.7-5.8 screen. It would make sense if they move the smaller pro up to 6.3 next year.
If the 15 Pro has titanium frame as rumors say, weight may not even be much of a problem.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Went from 12 mini to 13 mini to 14 pro. I really miss the mini but I like always on and dynamic island and being to read pdf to sign stuff. The mini screen was uncomfortable to use for pdf. I still contemplate getting a used mini to go back to from time to time plus having a physical sim had it’s advantages.

I’d you’re selling the mini let me know where lol maybe I’ll buy it.

dathomso

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Wine Country
Now that I set the font a size larger on my 13 Mini, I could see (haha) using it as a daily again, except the main camera in my 14 Pro is better for photography. I wish Apple would release a new Mini with A16 and the main lens and sensor from the 14 Pro - that would give you .5-1.0-2.0 options, which is all you should ever need. Even if the battery would be slightly smaller to allow space for the sensor, the improved power consumption should be offsetting. Just a thought...

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Went 13 mini to 15 on Saturday and not loving it, mainly the inability to maneuver around with one hand. Probably going to cause me to get a case on the worry I will drop it trying to use with one hand.

Jbeck3860

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Had a 13 mini for just over a year, and switched to a 14 pro. I had the same concerns, but it was such an easy adjustment. Loving the bigger screen, bigger keyboard, weight is a non issue. Battery life is much better. Everyone is different though🤷‍♂️

SyrOrange

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
Had a 13 mini for just over a year, and switched to a 14 pro. I had the same concerns, but it was such an easy adjustment. Loving the bigger screen, bigger keyboard, weight is a non issue. Battery life is much better. Everyone is different though🤷‍♂️
I have 13 mini but will be getting 15 PM so. Mini had to go because the small battery didn't live up to the real world demands that my life asks for.

SteveJawbs

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2022
Went 13 mini to 15 on Saturday and not loving it, mainly the inability to maneuver around with one hand. Probably going to cause me to get a case on the worry I will drop it trying to use with one hand.

I would replace my 8 with a 15 but as a one handed user I just can’t maneuver a brick one handed.
I have small Trumpy hands.

I’ll probably get an SE gen 3 soon.

Would get a mini but the notch is still too grotesque.

Need a notchless islandless 16 mini.

Sad that that will never happen.

It amazes me how flawless my 8 remains to be. Just so reliable and perfect. Foxconn makes great products.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I had my 12 mini for two years until today. I wasn’t planning to upgrade. But I got a hilariously good deal on a trade-in so my beloved 12 mini was just replaced by a standard 15.

I can definitely no longer reach the entire screen with my thumb. The 15 just feels huge. Can’t imagine what a Plus or Max would feel like.

However, I really like the extra size of the keyboard, and web browsing is definitely better.

Battery also seems leagues better as downloading all my apps barely put a dent in it.

No going back for me, but since Apple killed the mini anyway, it was inevitable.

I will still forever miss the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.