Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2021
London
Hi there,
I currently have a 5,1 2010 Mac Pro of the 12 core 2.93 GHz variant, however I was wondering if there was much of a performance boost to upgrading the CPUs to the last release 3.46GHz? I have found it hard to find a direct comparison between the two and was wondering if anyone had any quantification of this upgrade?
Thanks all,
H

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
Hi there!

I read someplace that the upgrade from 2,93 to 3,46 MHz is more cost than performance. But who does not want the fastes there is? :)

/Doc

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Did you already try searching Geekbench results for Mac Pros with such configuration?

Personally, I upgraded my Mac Pro (2009) from 8 core 2.26GHz to the 12 Core 3.46 for ~400€ last year. It was a massive performance boost, but the difference in CPU generation, cores and GHz was much bigger here compared to your current setup.

Vowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2021
London
Yeah it may be a marginal upgrade possibly. Seen a deal for a matched pair with thermal paste and tools for £120 for the two but maybe thats too much for the gain in performance. Would be interesting to know if anyone had any stats on this upgrade but maybe its a small one. Thanks for your help so far!

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
What type of performance are you looking for? Heavy-workload multi-thread headroom? Or general use single-thread snappiness for things like web browsing or app launching or day-to-day tasks?

I put a pair of X5677 3.4GHz Xeons in mine for just under $40. General usage feels much smoother, and I still got a 60% boost in multi-core performance. For best results use triple-channel 1333MHz ram.

In my case, I wasn't pushing the limits of my prior dual 2.4GHz quad-cores so multi-core performance wasn't worth spending top dollar on X5680s or -90s.

Vowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2021
London
I am currently working within blender as well as shaderlight for rendering as well as illustrator graphic design. It may therefore mean its not worth the upgrade?

Yeah I hadn't actually appreciated how close the 2.93 2010 and 3.46 2012 versions were really.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I don’t actually know what kind of workload those programs are (multi- or single-thread), but it’s also worth mentioning that you’ll want to use OpenCore to enable GPU acceleration if you have an AMD GPU. There’s a thread by a member named Dayo about chain loading OpenCore with Refindplus in a completely safe and non-invasive way that won’t risk your data.

Vowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2021
London
Thanks for your help! Will check it out properly in terms of the workload before going ahead. Cheers and have great week

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.