Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
I'm running 10.12.6 on my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) with 64GB and 520GB SSD Drive plus QTY 3 x 3TB Internal HDD Drives.... plus 15TB DroboS Gen 2 (Firewire).

I want to upgrade to High Sierra... all my core software has been updated to be compatible... anyone have any issues with upgrading an old MacPro 2010.

Inhave a full backup on my Drobo of my entire system (520GB Boot Drive plus QTY 3 x 3TB Internal HDD Drives).... so I feel safe enough... but always nervous about upgrading, especially as my machine gets old and older. Should I be concerned about this APFS feature...?

I upgrade my new MacPro 2017 with Touch Bar and had no issues at all.... but I have nothing important on that computer so I wasn't too worried if anything happened on there...but this is my main work machine... a very different story with this computer.

Any comments or suggestions most welcome.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
To avoid DOWNTIME when your upgrade to macOS HS goes wrong, please consider to use Carbon Cloner Copy to an external HDD/SSD.

Great advantage of the use of this back-up application is, that when misfortune strikes, you can easily boot - power on + [alt] - to your CCC external bootable clone and so you can just carry on working on your Mac Pro, whilst CCC can clone your macOS Sierra back to your reformatted SSD!

CCC saved my bacon many times!

Cheers

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Thanks m4v3r1ck for that reply.... I don't use CCC but I do have a Time Machine backup of my system on my Drobo S... would that be the same thing... and how easy or difficult is it to restore back to the previous OS.... I could buy a copy of CCC if you felt it was worth it as a fail safe...?
[doublepost=1509729889][/doublepost]
To avoid DOWNTIME when your upgrade to macOS HS goes wrong, please consider to use Carbon Cloner Copy to an external HDD/SSD.

Great advantage of the use of this back-up application is, that when misfortune strikes, you can easily boot - power on + [alt] - to your CCC external bootable clone and so you can just carry on working on your Mac Pro, whilst CCC can clone your macOS Sierra back to your reformatted SSD!

CCC saved my bacon many times!

Cheers
I just downloaded a trial version of CCC that seems to allow me use all the features for 30days... brilliant!! So will I just clone the Sierra OS folder only...

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
[doublepost=1509730191][/doublepost]
Thanks m4v3r1ck for that reply.... I don't use CCC but I do have a Time Machine backup of my system on my Drobo S... would that be the same thing... and how easy or difficult is it to restore back to the previous OS.... I could buy a copy of CCC if you felt it was worth it as a fail safe...?
[doublepost=1509729889][/doublepost]
I just downloaded a trial version of CCC that seems to allow me use all the features for 30days... brilliant!! So will I just clone the Sierra OS folder only...

TIME-OUT!

Please make sure that you use CCC to an external BOOTABLE HDD/SSD enclosure! I have a RAID1 HDD external enclosure connected to my Mac Pro 5.1 / MAC OS X 10.10.5 with an eSATA cable. The advantage will only be of use when you can reboot to you CCC clone!

What's your hardware you want to use with CCC?

Cheers

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
[doublepost=1509730191][/doublepost]

TIME-OUT!

Please make sure that you use CCC to an external BOOTABLE HDD/SSD enclosure! I have a RAID1 HDD external enclosure connected to my Mac Pro 5.1 / MAC OS X 10.10.5 with an eSATA cable. The advantage will only be of use when you can reboot to you CCC clone!

What's your hardware you want to use with CCC?

Cheers
Just letting you know... I upgraded to HS over the weekend... just took a chance... luckily all worked out fine. No issues so far... to be honest... I can't even really feel any difference... about the same on performance and I can't really see one feature update that will improve my workflow.... but glad it all works. This will probably the last OS update my MacPro 2010 will take... so shall see what happens next... iMac Pro on the way... YIPPEE!! :)

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Just to mention it:

Only CCC 5 seems to be a no-brainer for HS - CCC5 can go back and forth on both Sierra and High Sierra if necessary so (recovering) ...

@ Anto38x

Thank you for sharing your performance-experience (= not changing)... that will make me even more patient about upgrading. I am happy with 10.12.6 and will upgrade to HS when its last Version is released... saves always lots of sweat & tears.... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.