Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
First time poster, long time forum reader here :D . I'm still pretty new to the world of macs, but I have two questions about the 12 inch powerbook:

1) Call me weird, but the powerbook line seems to be more physically sturdy than the new macbooks (the macbooks seemed kinda flimsy no offense). This coming spring I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling for school. Are the powerbooks durable enough to be put in a back pack and carried around Europe?

2) What do you guys think a 12 inch powerbook is worth now? The prices on ebay are all over the place, but an average price seems to be about $500 for an 867mhz 12 inch powerbook. What do you guys think?

Thanks for you help!

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
ceruleanventure said:
First time poster, long time forum reader here :D . I'm still pretty new to the world of macs, but I have two questions about the 12 inch powerbook:

1) Call me weird, but the powerbook line seems to be more physically sturdy than the new macbooks (the macbooks seemed kinda flimsy no offense). This coming spring I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling for school. Are the powerbooks durable enough to be put in a back pack and carried around Europe?

2) What do you guys think a 12 inch powerbook is worth now? The prices on ebay are all over the place, but an average price seems to be about $500 for an 867mhz 12 inch powerbook. What do you guys think?

Thanks for you help!

Notice this one on craiglist. Not my listing but seems like a good deal
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/171699289.html

Are you going to put it in a case then in the backpack? What else will be in the backpack? You probably want to find a newer laptop since the battery life is probably most important to you. Also look for Built in Airport since alot of Free WIFI spots in Europe.

What do you plan on doing with the Laptop?

If you want a laptop you dont have to worry about in a backpack buy a Panasonic Toughbook.

I own a Macbook, but it seems the Powerbook 12" costed more to produce then a macbook. They dont even use Samsung ram in the macbook.

insanit

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2006
I'm an owner of a 1 GHz 12'' Powerbook and I've had it with me in college for the past 2 years and it's been great. I agree that Macbooks feel cheap at the store compared to my Powerbook but their speed and screen are enough to make me want one.

At any rate, Powerbooks are indeed durable. I have no recommendation on how much they're worth but if you do buy one, I strongly recommend protecting the laptop with two layers. The first should be a sleeve--preferrably neoprene because a material with more friction will make it hard to slip it into full bags. The second should be a bag with a designated laptop pocket. Neither form of protection is enough by itself and it took me 2 dents to realize that.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
ceruleanventure said:
The PowerBooks will cost you a lot in repairs if you think like that.

They are basically thin aluminum wrapped around for a case, they do tend to pick up dings and dents more easily even if they have a more solid feel.

Drop a PowerBook or MacBook Pro, and you may be looking and $300 or more is case parts -- while those plastic iBooks/MacBooks walk away with a scuff.

ie, the plastic is tough, but scratches a lot easier.

beloved84

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
my macbook is tough. even if you get it scratch you can barely see it.

my friend has a 12" PB and that thing is all dinged up.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Acehigh said:
If you want a laptop you dont have to worry about in a backpack buy a Panasonic Toughbook.

:mad: I hate the look of those things. They look hideous, and besides, windoze:mad: is enough to make you not want to buy it.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
dextertangocci said:
:mad: I hate the look of those things. They look hideous, and besides, windoze:mad: is enough to make you not want to buy it.

But you can drop it and it wont break. Or even spill coffee on it. If you need something that will travel well that is it. Also you can do crazy spreadsheets on the thing!

I will get a http://www.oqo.com if i needed something small yet powerful.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for the advive, I appreciate it. In respone to Acehigh's post: I just need a sturdy Mac for writing papers and checking email while I'm traveling. So the powerbooks cases is prone to dents?

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Btw...I didn't mean to offend any macbook owners :D ...I love the look of them, but was concerned about their durability.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well, macbooks (like ibooks) are actually quite durable. They can survive drops, bumps, bangs, and most anything else and keep going without a hitch. But they do scratch easily, if aesthetics are important to you.

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Well, I have a 12" Albook (see sig) and it's wonderful... I just don't want to take it travelling anywhere because it cost me a lot of money and it's so beautiful, I'd hate for something to happen to it. I also prefer the "solid, quality" feel of powerbooks compared to iBooks or MacBooks.

If I were in ceruleanventure's shoes, I would pickup a used iBook G4, not an Albook, for the durability. I would look for the cheapest deal you can get. Maybe a 933 MHz G4 or something for $400 to $500, and then max out the RAM and pick up a new battery. Take that travelling with you. It'll do almost anything you would need, and it wouldn't have cost you all that much, so if anything happens to it, you wouldn't feel so bad as you would if you had spent $1100 on a new MacBook. It's all about easing your mind.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
ceruleanventure said:
Thanks for the advive, I appreciate it. In respone to Acehigh's post: I just need a sturdy Mac for writing papers and checking email while I'm traveling. So the powerbooks cases is prone to dents?

Well I would get something with Applecare dont buy something out of warranty. even if it was dropped, but no damage to the case/screen Apple would fix it.

Just buy a good sleeve for the powerbook/macbook you should be good either way. But for traveling Battery life and size is the most important.

If its only clothes in the backpack you should be fine either way. But If you are a student i will just say get the macbook 1049 with a free ipod and printer is a great deal if you dont need a superdrive. Its the better value

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I bought 12" PB because I wanted to have a portable computer when I need to travel. But, I ended up getting an 12" iBook for that duty because I want to keep my 12" PB (and 15" PBs) in good condition.

For the first few months (before getting an iBook), I took my 12" PB out on the travel in the proper laptop travel bag and I was able to keep it in a mint condition. I am a sucker for PB's aluminum exterior design.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Acehigh said:
Or a Compaq Preasrio r4000. Plastic and durable as hell.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
I owned a 12" PowerBook for about 2 years until I recently passed it on to my sister and replaced it with a MacBook. I can say that although I miss the extreme portability and the aluminum form factor of the 12" PowerBook, the extra screen size and brightness, along with the incredible speed of my MacBook makes me very happy with it. The black is very nice (althought I hate the fact that fingerprints and dust shows easily) and the widescreen format is a big improvement on the 12". I feel like the 13" screen is the perfect balance of portability and screen real estate, although I wish Apple had it in the Aluminum casing.

If you are going to get the 12" PowerBook to lug around in your backpack, I would suggest getting the Booq Vyper XS. Although it is expensive and it doesn't really fit the 12" "like a glove" it really does a great job of protecting your PowerBook while not compromising portability. http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=97 I had one for the time I owned the 12" PowerBook and I loved it. I wouldn't carry the PowerBook in my backpack without a case, a $50 investment is not too expensive for such an expensive piece of hardware.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
This is all great advice, so thanks. I hadn't even considered protecting it in a sleeve. I was planning on just throwing it in my back pack (foolish huh?) I was just wondering is anyone could help me figure out the dollar value of a 12 inch powerbook? I really have no idea since the ebay prices are all over the place. Additionally does anyone have one for sale here? Apparently I'm too new to post in the marketplace forum, so I'm just curious. Thanks for the help, you people are great.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
ceruleanventure said:
This is all great advice, so thanks. I hadn't even considered protecting it in a sleeve. I was planning on just throwing it in my back pack (foolish huh?) I was just wondering is anyone could help me figure out the dollar value of a 12 inch powerbook? I really have no idea since the ebay prices are all over the place. Additionally does anyone have one for sale here? Apparently I'm too new to post in the marketplace forum, so I'm just curious. Thanks for the help, you people are great.

You know, right now the market value will be very low due to the recent release of the MacBooks. But I have a feeling that in time people are going to want to have smaller Apple notebooks without too much power and will want the 12" PowerBook, hence raising the value of it. I'm guessing a 1.33 GHz 60GB model will go for around $800-$900. But then again if Apple does release an "ultra-portable" MacBook, the value will drop like a rock. The value is probably lower now because of that rumor.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
The biggest variable in terms of durability, no matter what the computer's made of, is going to be the user and how you treat it. Anything can be mistreated; no Mac laptop is designed to be dropped hard a bunch of times and like it.

My rev. C. 12" is looking great after a year and a half, with no dents or even noticeable scratches; looks the same as the day I bought it. It has plenty of miles on it, and I don't believe I've been inordinately careful with it, but I am a strong believer in the utility of a sleeve. I have a simple Tucano one, but I think there are plenty of good options out there. It fits perfectly and makes every bag a laptop bag.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
ceruleanventure said:

With ebay you buyer the seller more then the product. Try your local craiglist (of course some people are greedy) but a few will give better prices since if they use ebay and paypal they lose close to 10% in fees (maybe not that bad)

Which 12 inch Powerbook?

Not sure if this is a scam, but seems like a good deal if you can talk him down. Also if you are in NY. Use Craiglist for pick up only, try to meet at the persons work if possible.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/171699289.html

others on craiglist and not sold

powerbook G4 12" 867/640MB/40GB/AP Extreme - $550

Powerbook G4 12" 867/640MB/ AP Extreme, AppleCare 6 months - $495

Here a SOLD one
PowerBook G4 12 " 1.33 MHZ DVD/CDRW 768MB 60G - $600

So look for something like that is fair

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.