Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
while waiting for my replacement iPhone 15PM from Apple to arrive, I took back my spare iPhone 12 Mini and used it for a few days.

prior to this, I knew that its battery health was shown as 82%. It is still at 82% as of today.

The phone runs fine until I get the 20% battery warning pop-up while I was doing something. Every single time I get that 20% pop-up message, the phone always dies and turns itself off within 2 minutes after that, without further warnings. I plug the phone into the charge and it will power on after a short while. It charges to 100% with no issues.

Is this normal? Or is the battery about to go kaput? Like I said, battery health still showed 82%. The phone is still on AppleCare. If I ask Apple, will the replace a battery that's still showing 82% health?

Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: AlastorKatriona

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Battery's start to do weird stuff once they get to 70%-80% SOH, more so on smaller batteries. I definitely think if you should them this happening they will replace the batter.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Yeah, I'd be surprised if Apple didn't cover this. Definitely not normal.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Get a 2nd opinion to determine the current battery health... If you have a Mac, download Coconut Battery then connect your iPhone via cable and check the battery health...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
iOS updates’ increased power consumption is too much for the battery when it’s low.

Regardless, try calibrating the meter.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
82% is effectively dead.

Anything under 90% is unreliable in terms of battery health, especially if you expose the battery to cold weather.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
82% is effectively dead.

Anything under 90% is unreliable in terms of battery health, especially if you expose the battery to cold weather.
82% is definitely not dead. If it were, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro would be gone. Still has like-new battery life, no difference from when it was first forcibly updated.

Reactions: someoneoutthere

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
82% is definitely not dead. If it were, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro would be gone. Still has like-new battery life, no difference from when it was first forcibly updated.

If 80% is the replacement threshold, then 82% means you've already consumed 90% of the recommended life.

Reactions: now i see it

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If 80% is the replacement threshold, then 82% means you've already consumed 90% of the recommended life.
Agreed on “recommended”! My 6s on iOS 10 is at 63% with like-new battery life. -17% and going beautifully!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Agreed on “recommended”! My 6s on iOS 10 is at 63% with like-new battery life. -17% and going beautifully!

Apple's battery change at 80% likely takes into account temperature conditions. If it can run 0-100% at Apple's device recommended temps (0º to 35ºC), then I'd agree it's beautiful.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I don’t think the iOS Battery Health % is always reliable.
Case in point:
I have a 9 year old iPhone 6 Plus on its original battery (never been changed) that’s been used every day- all day for 9 years... and iOS says it still has 99% battery health.
Yeah right.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Apple's battery change at 80% likely takes into account temperature conditions. If it can run 0-100% at Apple's device recommended temps (0º to 35ºC), then I'd agree it's beautiful.
Yeah agreed, as long as you avoid extreme temperatures, if the iOS version is a partner instead of an enemy then battery life will always be great.

I do assume there’s some kind of limit to this, like, a battery at 15% health is probably gone regardless of software efficiency, but realistically, nobody will ever encounter that with minimal precautions.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Case in point:
I have a 9 year old iPhone 6 Plus on its original battery (never been changed) that’s been used every day- all day for 9 years... and iOS says it still has 99% battery health.
Yeah right.
99% may sound dubious, but it may be fine. My 2015 MacBook Pro is at 95% after 7 years. It hasn’t been used a lot, but while age does degrade batteries, it’s definitely not the main factor.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Apple Care covers battery if it dips under 80%, but with this behavior I would give it a shot already.

Thanks! Contacted Apple and they said they would replace the battery. Currently outside of the US for another week, will get it taken care of when I'm back next week.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
82% is effectively dead.

My 13 Pro is at 85% and it did just fine with -15F about a month ago, for most of the day. Took a lot of phots and video. I still get 1.5 days per charge on the regular.

That said, when my 6S start dying quickly after hitting about 20%, a battery replacement fixed it.

Last edited:

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
From what I've been told, the iphone 12 mini had a flawed battery, I had mine fail after 6 months and swelled, it was replaced but when talking to the tech, it seems apple is now putting in the 13 mini battery, not the original. I noticed an extended battery life and reliability on my iphone 12 mini since.

I suggest getting the battery replaced by apple, that should get you an updated battery and a better overall experience.

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
I had a 12 mini and after 6 months the battery was already under 85%. I took it to the Apple store and they agreed it had an issue and sent it to Apple to be replaced. A week later I went to pick up the phone and was told that Apple found no issues with the battery and that it was all working the way it should and they were not going to replace the battery. Plus in the process they put three gouges in the aluminum frame and a scratch across the screen which they would not accept responsibility for.... even though they took photos of the phone before shipping it which showed no damage. By 12 months it was under 80%. The phone died in a bike accident fortunately or unfortunately... depending how you look at it. I loved the size of the phone but it was by far the worst iPhone I've ever had. Even if they brought out a 16 mini next year I wouldn't touch it. The mini was discontinued for a reason... it was a flawed design. I'm always amazed when I see someone using a mini now.... can't beleive some of them are still running.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
I upgraded to an iphone 14 pro when my 12 mini was in the shop, its a great and powerful handheld computer, its just overkill as a phone. I'll be keeping my 12 mini for as long as I can.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
while waiting for my replacement iPhone 15PM from Apple to arrive, I took back my spare iPhone 12 Mini and used it for a few days.

prior to this, I knew that its battery health was shown as 82%. It is still at 82% as of today.

The phone runs fine until I get the 20% battery warning pop-up while I was doing something. Every single time I get that 20% pop-up message, the phone always dies and turns itself off within 2 minutes after that, without further warnings. I plug the phone into the charge and it will power on after a short while. It charges to 100% with no issues.

Is this normal? Or is the battery about to go kaput? Like I said, battery health still showed 82%. The phone is still on AppleCare. If I ask Apple, will the replace a battery that's still showing 82% health?

Thanks!
As politely as I can, I am asking you: are you seriously looking for an answer other than "the battery needs to be replaced."?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Case in point:
Yeah right.
Any estimate of battery charge and health is really just and estimate. It can be backed by data and population trends, but ultimately they are measuring a complex analog process where they can only infer how much electricity actually remains. Variables are temperature, recent usage, assembly variation, and likely other factors. Because they measure these things for lots of phones, their estimates are pretty good but they can be thrown off by factors specific to your phone and can vary from day to day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.