Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
Seems like it should be 24 monthly installments or more to purchase a MacBook Pro. Why is it only 12?

Dasbinnurich

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2021
Bärlin, Berlin, Germany.
I guess because people are used to pay for phones in 24 instalments and are often upgrading after they finish paying for the current one, this way they are promoting people to continue upgrading every 24 months, 12 months would have been way too soon for most people. Offering 36 monthly installemnts would have made some people upgrading their phones less often. In the meanwhile people normally don’t upgrade computers every 24 months, it was never a thing, they are not used to it either, here they are just trying to get people who can‘t afford or don‘t want to spend $1-3,000 at once, buy their products anyway.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I guess because people are used to pay for phones in 24 instalments and are often upgrading after they finish paying for the current one, this way they are promoting people to continue upgrading every 24 months, 12 months would have been way too soon for most people. Offering 36 monthly installemnts would have made some people upgrading their phones less often. In the meanwhile people normally don’t upgrade computers every 24 months, it was never a thing, they are not used to it either, here they are just trying to get people who can‘t afford or don‘t want to spend $1-3,000 at once, buy their products anyway.
I'm not talking about the phone. I'm talking about the MacBook Pro. Why is it only 12 installments instead of something like 36 installments?

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
I'm not talking about the phone. I'm talking about the MacBook Pro. Why is it only 12 installments instead of something like 36 installments?

As mentioned, they do 24 months for the phones because it's consistent with most mobile carrier financing and inspires people to buy new phones every 2 years. iPhones are also a much bigger business for them than Macs and its smart to keep people locked into a cycle. It's very strategic.

For computers and everything else with no consistent upgrade cycle...they have no incentive to offer 24 or 36 month financing. The 0% APR is a rare perk and I'd think 12 months at 0% is enough to make a purchase accessible to the majority of interested people.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
If you read the hundreds of postings here, alot of people change their phones every year - not two years. I agree (and wonder) with the OP as to why the Apple credit card allows 24 month financing on smartphones but not longer for more expensive tech like computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.