Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madtiger27

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Is it me or is the 12 Pro Max TELEPHOTO (2.5x) really good at portraits?!

I compared portraits using telephoto lens b/w my wife’s 11 PM and my 12 PM...no comparison! The details. The cutout. The bokeh. All significantly better.

But what surprises me most is the indoor portraits. Before i bought 12 PM, i feared that portraits will suck in less than ideal lighting because of the slower lens (f/2.2 vs. f/2.0 on 11 PM). But whatever magic Apple did (better A14 processing, better stabilization, better lens?), it works great! I am NOT talking about Night Mode Portrait. This is portrait with the telephoto 2.5x lens with decent indoor lighting.

With the 11 PM, the portraits indoor lack details and smudgy esp when you blow it up on a big screen. The 12 PM portraits are very usable and quite good.

And yeah, the 65mm crop makes the portraits look more intimate....

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Agreed. I'm thinking with the next iPhones will have an 85mm telephoto lens (3x the 28mm for the main camera) for that professional portrait focal length, and hopefully a f/1.2 or f/1.4 aperture as well

71Ml7NeFV%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.