Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNatt

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
Launch day phone at 84%. Use MagSafe charging during day while working. Normal wireless charging at night. Use cable fast charge when I need to charge fast. It’s off and on a charger all day while I’m working. I’m always paranoid about making sure my phone is mostly charged. I’m sure it‘s horrible for my battery, hence the 84%. But since I am on the upgrade program I don’t care as much.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Launch day. MagSafe charging at home, wireless charging in car.
4B431F5F-5461-464D-8B35-8DA10F302AAC.jpeg

Last edited:

LxiMax

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
Launch Day 12 Pro Max - 90% - 425 charge cycles. Almost exclusively MagSafe / Wireless Charging.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Yikes! What is your charging/use routine? What phone do you have?

12 pro max… but I work a job where I utilize it most of my day (6-8 hrs of screen on time a day). I mostly charge in the evening/overnight… I rarely need a charge throughout the day, but I use roughly a full cycle at least every 24 hours so this seems to be on par with expectations based on my usage.

Tpevans0105

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020
Launch day 12 Pro Max - 89% extremely disappointing since my XS Max which I had for 26 months was at 93% before I upgraded to the 12PM.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Launch day 12 Pro Max. Battery health is at 87%. And it gets super hot while using. I checked with a infrared thermo and the back was 96 degrees.
I’ve been at 85% since iOS 15.2.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
got my 12 pro max at launch. was at 100% until about early december there. today i just noticed it went from 99% to 98%. i'm on 15.2.

i don't get how it has taken just over a year to drop to 99% but then only a month or so to go down to 98%. so i can expect it to drop faster now? i might be looking at ~90% health by the time the iPhone 14 comes out.

from day 1 i've made a habit of only charging to about 80%. i have a shortcut notification set to alert me when charging goes above 80%. usually if battery drops to 20% then i will put it back in to charge. sometimes i might leave it to go to about 85-90% if i know i'm gonna need it. if i've ever charged it to 100% it's been when i've forgot it was charging. i don't think i've ever drained my battery to 0-1%. so this is my trying to take care of the battery. also i only charge with wire. don't have any wireless charger. sometimes i have used my iPad Pro charger so might be giving the phone too much juice and that's heating it up compared to my other charger.

i'm not disappointed with it. 99% health after a year is great. i just don't know what it will be after 2 years. if it's 90% then that's nothing to complain about i don't think.

i still haven't decided if i'm gonna keep the phone for a 3rd year so it might not even be worth worrying about. when my AppleCare+ is about to expire i might just grab a 14 Pro Max. if i decide not to upgrade and if the battery sucks i'll probably just pay apple to put a new one and get another year or something out it. we'll see.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
got my 12 pro max at launch. was at 100% until about early december there. today i just noticed it went from 99% to 98%. i'm on 15.2.

i don't get how it has taken just over a year to drop to 99% but then only a month or so to go down to 98%. so i can expect it to drop faster now? i might be looking at ~90% health by the time the iPhone 14 comes out.

from day 1 i've made a habit of only charging to about 80%. i have a shortcut notification set to alert me when charging goes above 80%. usually if battery drops to 20% then i will put it back in to charge. sometimes i might leave it to go to about 85-90% if i know i'm gonna need it. if i've ever charged it to 100% it's been when i've forgot it was charging. i don't think i've ever drained my battery to 0-1%. so this is my trying to take care of the battery. also i only charge with wire. don't have any wireless charger. sometimes i have used my iPad Pro charger so might be giving the phone too much juice and that's heating it up compared to my other charger.

i'm not disappointed with it. 99% health after a year is great. i just don't know what it will be after 2 years. if it's 90% then that's nothing to complain about i don't think.
Like I’ve said before on the these forums, the 100% is just a safe figure Apple sets. Most people who buy it on launch day where it does not sit will probably get like 107%. But Apple will only go up to 100%. So it’s been dropping since you got it but only showed up when you dropped to 99% which happen to me in November one year after I got it. The degradation is a chemical reaction and can’t be stopped so face the inevitable that you will replace the battery and then you won’t obsess over this as much.

Last edited:

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
My 12PM is at 87%. Purchased it on launch day and on 15.2.1. I think a lot of it, is due to using it a lot for delivery service that requires GPS all the time.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Like I’ve said before on the these forums, the 100% is just a safe figure Apple sets. Most people who buy it on launch day where it does not sit will probably get like 107%. But Apple will only go up to 100%. So it’s been dropping since you got it but only showed up when you dropped to 99% which happen to me in November one year after I got it. The degradation is a chemical reaction and can’t be stopped so face the inevitable that you will replace the battery and then you won’t obsess over this as much.
lmao i know about chemical reactions but thanks. and i'm hardly obsessing over it. just being aware of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.