Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I posted a while back that I was considering upgrading from my 12 Pro to 13, and decided to hold off until the 14.

From what I’ve seen so far, the main difference between the 14 and 14 Pro is with the camera. Impressive as it is, I really have no need to shoot Hollywood-grade movies so it’s not too enticing.

But what does take my fancy is Dynamic Island. That is an awesome design and has genuine utility. What a shame Apple only put it in the Pro line.

The 14 having the same hitch as my 12 Pro rules out me upgrading to that. On the other hand, a 256gb 14 Pro is £1200, which feels obscene. With the trade-in value, I can get it for only £5/month more than I currently pay for my 12 though, which sounds much better.

So I’m finding myself torn between “have the 12 paid off in 5 months, the new one doesn’t seem a huge improvement” and “the monthly price is really similar so don’t worry about it.”

I’m largely thinking out loud here rather than asking someone to give me an answer, but is there anything I’m overlooking in terms of how the 12 and 14 compare?

loungefly2022

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2022
I'm in the same boat as you. I could have flipped a coin on upgrading or not, but for me battery life is the deal breaker.

The battery life on the 14 pro, along with the Island, are the biggest pros (no pun intended) for upgrading. What sealed the deal is the battery health on my 12 pro is 86%, down 3% since July.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I'm in the same boat as you. I could have flipped a coin on upgrading or not, but for me battery life is the deal breaker.

The battery life on the 14 pro, along with the Island, are the biggest pros (no pun intended) for upgrading. What sealed the deal is the battery health on my 12 pro is 86%, down 3% since July.
Mine is 89% but I recently removed social media from my phone and reduced my usage to a few hours a day, and was amazed at the battery - it would be close to 50% when I went to bed. Improvements to it are always nice but I don’t feel a pressing need to upgrade for battery.

I’m kinda thinking that if there wasn’t dynamic island, I’d be in no rush to upgrade. So I’m wondering if that’s a strong enough feature to upgrade now. I’m two generations behind so I’m scratching my head - is there really so little to differentiate the 12, 13 and 14?!

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have the 12 Pro but i think m gonna hold off for another year. All the features of the 14 Pro are nice but it’s not enough for me to spend the money. I’m hoping next year the Apple improve the range of the telephoto lens 😁

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I'm going from the 12 Pro Max to the 14 Pro Max....partially because I just want something new every couple of years. 1TB coming in fast in silver (so I don't have to fight all those purple people).

Reactions: gpoop and Peligro

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I am going to upgrade but might even get the Pro Max this time. ATT is offering really nice incentives for unlimited data customers. Not sure if I would upgrade if I had to pay full price though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.