Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Four by Six

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
Mine has done the same thing... My only suggestion is to plug it into power and open and close the lid a bunch of times and long press the power button a bunch of times. This usually works for me. The only other thing I have tried is to twist the chassis back and forth a little bit. Wish I knew a real fix.

Reactions: StoneJack

FrankMac12

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Do you know why my new battery is not charging and how to fix it?
I have installed a new battery, then first connected with a 5 watt iPhone charger. Subsequently, charged it with my MacBook charger to 100%. The charger was working normally. For calibration I drained the battery by normal usage until the Mac fell asleep. Five hours later I connected the charger, nothing happens. When I push the power button, the low battery symbol is shown with the symbol I should charge.

My second new battery is having exact the same problem. After battery drainage, when the 5 watt iPhone charger is connected, the battery led on the motherboard is on. As soon as I remove the 5 watt iPhone charger, the led turns off. When I connect my regular MacBook charger, the led does not turn on.

Last edited:

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I suspect the SSD is dead. Wait a couple of days and then try booting into Recovery mode, Option + Command + R. Or try Target Disk mode from another Mac to recover your files. I was able to do that.

I recently encountered the same issue with my wife‘s 12” 2016 MB. She simply opened the lid and logged in as usually and 2 seconds late the MB when dead. Target Disk mode can see the drive but cannot not be formatted. Apple Genius said the SSD is dead. Repair cost is $500. The saddest part is Apple replaced the display, bottom case with battery and new keyboard only 3 months ago so aside form the logic board, the rest of the MB is brand new.

I am able to booth from ext thumb drive and use the machine but it is slow AF due to the speed of the thumb drive. Now I’m on the fence with buying a used logic board or sell it as parts on eBay.

Martin#2021

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2021
My macbook 2015 12inch stopped working I used it for a while and then the next day it stopped working it shows a light in the mother indicating theres power but it doesnt boot can you help me.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
My macbook 2015 12inch stopped working I used it for a while and then the next day it stopped working it shows a light in the mother indicating theres power but it doesnt boot can you help me.

Sounds like it is booted to a black screen......so you should be able to power it OFF by holding power button down for 10 seconds.

BTW I don't ever remember seeing a light on my 12" MBP ...have you got the bottom plate off?

When you manage to turn it off (no light) and if it won't then boot I would suggest the usual things:
Boot from Recovery, First Aid, reinstall etc
Safe boot
Reset SMC (see my post #12 above)
Connect external monitor
Boot from external drive.

Of course it may be a hardware failure and none of these will work (except possibly external monitor and drive).

Last edited:
Reactions: StoneJack

eswagsh

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
Hi, My 12 inch 2015 Macbook A1534 resurrected after 3 years.

In 2019, I took it to Apple Store and they said Logic board replacement is needed due to water damage. Since it was too expensive, I didn' go for it.

Yesterday I just plugged it in and It was working all of a sudden. It could not detect internal trackpad and keyboard so asked for external. I plugged in my iMac keyboard using USB-C cable and I could login to my account. It even restored all the apps and Safari pages I was working on probably.

I update icloud password and started Mac OS update from MAC OS Mojave10.14.6 to Mac OS Catalina as prompted.
However it restarted during an update and then crashed again.

I'm thinking it might be due to NVRAM reset. Is there anyway to do it other than Option+Cmd+P+R?
Since then I have tried countless times to do SMC reset, NVRAM reset and all startup things with various permutation and combinations.

Battery is charging normally. I can charge my iphone 2 times atleast. trackpad is working normally.
Not sure what is wrong.

Maybe need to wait another 3 years ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 4.51.02.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 4.51.02.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 90
Reactions: Quddy

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Hi, My 12 inch 2015 Macbook A1534 resurrected after 3 years.

In 2019, I took it to Apple Store and they said Logic board replacement is needed due to water damage. Since it was too expensive, I didn' go for it.

Yesterday I just plugged it in and It was working all of a sudden. It could not detect internal trackpad and keyboard so asked for external. I plugged in my iMac keyboard using USB-C cable and I could login to my account. It even restored all the apps and Safari pages I was working on probably.

I update icloud password and started Mac OS update from MAC OS Mojave10.14.6 to Mac OS Catalina as prompted.
However it restarted during an update and then crashed again.

I'm thinking it might be due to NVRAM reset. Is there anyway to do it other than Option+Cmd+P+R?
Since then I have tried countless times to do SMC reset, NVRAM reset and all startup things with various permutation and combinations.

Battery is charging normally. I can charge my iphone 2 times atleast. trackpad is working normally.
Not sure what is wrong.

Maybe need to wait another 3 years ;)
maybe NOW you can take it to AppleStore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.