Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac1z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
Hi everyone! So with the rumor of the new macbook pros getting major display updates, do you think this will include a 120Hz display. I know that the new Ipad pros received the mini-led upgrade and I am kind of hoping that that can trickle up to the MacBook pros. Are there any credible rumors or indications of this? Thank you.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well they're supposed to get MiniLED displays and most of those in consumer televisions and monitors support 120Hz so it seems reasonable we could see 120Hz / ProMotion added.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Let's hope so.

I hate that the $1100 iPad Pro has better overall tech than a $2400 Macbook Pro.

Apple led the way for the industry by making retina (high resolution displays) standard in the industry. Making 120hz standard on laptops on top of high resolution screens will allow Apple to lead the industry again.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I also thing we will have adaptive redress rate displays on upcoming Macs. Apple just significantly expanded macOS capabilities in this area.

Reactions: jdb8167

dustSafa

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2021
I feel like we won’t be getting it with this year’s models ? Hope I end up being wrong about it tho

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I also thing we will have adaptive redress rate displays on upcoming Macs. Apple just significantly expanded macOS capabilities in this area.
What is that? Also, could you talk about what MacOS expanded on specifically? I don't do any MacOS development so I don't keep up to date.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like we won’t be getting it with this year’s models ? Hope I end up being wrong about it tho
Yea, this feel like a 2022 update. I'm guessing Apple just wants to ship a 60hz Mini LED screen out the door first. Then worry about 120hz next year.

Tim Cook is much more conservative though. If it was Jobs, he'd want to make big splash by introducing bigger upgrades.

• Sad
Reactions: dustSafa

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
What is that?

That's a typo combined with iPhones "advanced text capabilities". Dedicated hardware neural engine and the thing still manages to produce autocorrections that make absolutely no sense. Honestly, the autocorrect actually seems to getting worse in the last years...

Also, could you talk about what MacOS expanded on specifically? I don't do any MacOS development so I don't keep up to date.

They now support adaptive sync displays and dynamic refresh rate control.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
They now support adaptive sync displays and dynamic refresh rate control.
Just to expand on that a little: it allows a game developer to sync drawing of frames that vary in time based on content with the display sync to prevent tearing. This is better than delaying a refresh because just syncing to vertical refresh and delaying if the frame is not complete causes noticeable lag and jitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.