Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
The 120Hz of the iPhone X is only the touchscreen rate? Not comparable to the 120Hz (ProMotion) screen refresh rate of the iPro. Right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vampire14

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Capture.PNG
Yes the user input is 120Hz because it needs to be snappier because there are more touch gestures, but it does not have a pro motion display

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Does this mean the screen will be over sensitive like some of the Samsung’s, making accidental touches easier to perform?
Not sure if that makes much sense to be honest. That is software side of things. Apples software for accidental touches will stay the same

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
capturing input data at every 8ms rather than 16.6ms allows you to start rendering the next frame in time for the next 16ms frame update, where if they were both at the same rate, you'd have to wait for the next refresh. So if the whole SoC is fast enough (and it likely is, if they did this), by having input data twice as fast as the screen refresh, you could potentially shave off 16.6ms of screen response time by drawing at the next 16ms refresh instead of another one down from when touch was sampled.

And yeah, it's confirmed:

https://developer.apple.com/library...html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013599-CH108-SW5

Reactions: D.T.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
So the iPhone X feels faster than the iPhone 8?

Or is the doubled rate not noticable?

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
So the iPhone X feels faster than the iPhone 8?

Or is the doubled rate not noticable?

It should stick to your finger 1 frame, or 16ms, faster.

Not lifechanging, but nice. I'm guessing most won't notice unless they go back to other devices a lot, and then will just have some imperceptible thing that's just nicer that they can't put their finger on.

Reactions: lancastor

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It should stick to your finger 1 frame, or 16ms, faster.

Not lifechanging, but nice. I'm guessing most won't notice unless they go back to other devices a lot, and then will just have some imperceptible thing that's just nicer that they can't put their finger on.

That is my guess. You will not really notice at first unless you are using two devices side by side. With that said, after using it for a few weeks I think you will notice if you start using a different iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.