Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2015
I’ve been waiting what feels like forever for a 120Hz AMOLED iPhone and at long last it’s here! I even bought a Galaxy S20 just to try 120Hz AMOLED and never put my SIM card in it haha.

AMOLED’s response time is MUCH faster than LCD’s so you can’t compare 120Hz on the iPad’s to this. This is on another level.

So how do y’all feel about it? I personally believe this is the biggest change to the iPhones screen since the term “retina” was coined in 2010, or when AMOLED was implemented in 2017. Thoughts?

Nacket

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Buttery smooth, it is delightful so far! 120 Hz was an automatic buy for me, even coming from a previous generation Pro model. Totally worth it!

Also a notable improvement even from a 2018 iPad Pro 11”. You’re right, the display technology makes a huge difference even at the same frame rate.

Last edited:

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2015
Buttery smooth, it is delightful so far! 120 Hz was an automatic buy for me, even coming from a previous generation Pro model. Totally worth it!
Same here! Also seeing how it’s been integrated into iOS and optimized with only a 3095 mah battery on the Pro is extremely impressive!

Reactions: Geert76

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
It’s nice but not a game changer like people hype it up to be. Nice addition, but not necessary for visibility or functionality. It’ll be nice when it comes to the standard models, but until then, meh. Glad you guys enjoy it.

Reactions: austriak and ekuLoN

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
It’s nice but not a game changer like people hype it up to be. Nice addition, but not necessary for visibility or functionality. It’ll be nice when it comes to the standard models, but until then, meh. Glad you guys enjoy it.
I think that’s up to the user. Personally, I feel it is a game changer and could not go back to a 60Hz iPhone screen after using the 13 PM.

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015

Also a notable improvement even from a 2018 iPad Pro 11”. You’re right, the display technology makes a huge difference even at the same frame rate.
It’s the exact same thing for me. Much faster than my 2020 iPad Pro 11”

Nacket

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The combination of OLED responsiveness with the smooth motion is a major improvement IMO. On par with the move to OLED and Face ID from LED and Touch ID, but not quite as dramatic as the introduction of Touch ID coming from a device that didn’t have any biometrics. Might just be a combination of new hardware, a fresh iOS install, and a full-capacity battery, but this feels like the most substantial upgrade I’ve had since moving from a 7 Plus to the X. I get motion sickness after looking at 60 Hz displays for too long, so maybe this is a bigger deal for me than it is to most. But I’m glad your current device is still meeting your needs, squirrel away that money for your next one! ;)

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2015
I just got out of my pitch black closet with some eye opening findings haha. It’s a tradition every new iPhone season

I compared my 12 Pro to my 13 Pro and what an INSANE difference at the lowest brightness setting, True Tone off, and dark mode enabled. I viewed settings and a Macrumors page and the 12 Pro looked absolutely horrendous with green tint extremely visible throughout. The color and contrast was night and day.

Because of this green tint, the 13 Pro appeared just a tad bit darker although I would say in scientific testing my 12 Pro in light mode can get a few nits dimmer than my 13 Pro in the settings app.

All this to say, I had some issues with the 12 Pro my first week with it noticing the blacks were not right and it looked horrible compared to my Xs Max. Some of the deep black issues were solved in future iOS 14 updates but this green tint issue is disappointing. I have to say the 12 Pro has the worst panel of all the AMOLED iPhone’s.

Reactions: Fred Zed

beardev

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2020
Has anyone noticed that a certain subset of UI animations will still always run at 60hz? The most obvious one I’ve found in Apple apps is in the App Store. Click on the list of trending apps in the Today page, and the animation that pulls the list into focus is very clearly still locked at 60.

Over on Reddit, the creator of the Apollo app is claiming that certain UI animations are just forced to run at the lower framerate. I hope this is changed, the change in frame rate is very noticeable when it’s surrounded by so many perfect buttery smooth movements.

Source on the Apollo app: https://www.reddit.com/r/apolloapp/comments/pufnyi/_/he3ibzp

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I’ve been waiting what feels like forever for a 120Hz AMOLED iPhone and at long last it’s here! I even bought a Galaxy S20 just to try 120Hz AMOLED and never put my SIM card in it haha.

AMOLED’s response time is MUCH faster than LCD’s so you can’t compare 120Hz on the iPad’s to this. This is on another level.

So how do y’all feel about it? I personally believe this is the biggest change to the iPhones screen since the term “retina” was coined in 2010, or when AMOLED was implemented in 2017. Thoughts?
I have personally Transitioned ALL my electronics to 120hz or 144hz Displays OLED or IPS. And the 13 ProMAX is the smoothest and cleanest of all. It really is top tier quality

55” 120Hz LG OLED C9 4K home TV
iPad Pro 11” IPS 120Hz ProMotion
Note 20 Ultra 120Hz OLED
iPhone 13 ProMAX
2 LG GL850 27” 144Hz IPS 1440p GSYNC Gaming monitors

waiting on a new M1X MacBook Pro
2022 65” LG OLED 4K TV

teflocarbon

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2020
Kanto
Has anyone noticed that a certain subset of UI animations will still always run at 60hz? The most obvious one I’ve found in Apple apps is in the App Store. Click on the list of trending apps in the Today page, and the animation that pulls the list into focus is very clearly still locked at 60.

Over on Reddit, the creator of the Apollo app is claiming that certain UI animations are just forced to run at the lower framerate. I hope this is changed, the change in frame rate is very noticeable when it’s surrounded by so many perfect buttery smooth movements.

Source on the Apollo app: https://www.reddit.com/r/apolloapp/comments/pufnyi/_/he3ibzp
I noticed this too and it’s been driving me crazy. Twitter looks like a mess with butter scrolling and then suddenly janky animations. I really am hoping this is an oversight or a bug and not something they intended.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and beardev

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
have personally Transitioned ALL my electronics to 120hz or 144hz Displays OLED or IPS. And the 13 ProMAX is the smoothest and cleanest of all. It really is top tier quality

55” 120Hz LG OLED C9 4K home TV
iPad Pro 11” IPS 120Hz ProMotion
Note 20 Ultra 120Hz OLED
iPhone 13 ProMAX
2 LG GL850 27” 144Hz IPS 1440p GSYNC Gaming monitors

waiting on a new M1X MacBook Pro
2022 65” LG OLED 4K TV
How can I transition my M1 Mac to 120hz ??‍♂️?

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2015
Looks like the 13 Pro is also Y-OCTA as well. Check out at 18:30 here.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Agreed. OLED 120hz is on another level from LCD 120hz, and I have the latest iPad Pro to compare. This, for me, is one of the best changes in years for the iPhones. So happy.

Reactions: Jetcat3

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I haven’t watched this but I said in another thread how the 120hz on the S21 series feels a bit smoother than on my iPhone 13 Pro Max.
The video demonstrates that scrolling in Settings is only around 90 Hz on the iPhone.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011

Couldn’t agree more. I was initially skeptical and dismissive abut this… “another gimmick”. Now I absolutely love the 120Hz on my 13 Pro Max.

Reactions: Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.