Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grantym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Hi All, looking for some help after a puzzling consumption of all my storage space on my ipad. Ive googled for hours and seen numerous mentions of 'other' data on IOS machines growing out of control for other users - however my issue is that after checking my ipad on itunes on a laptop, it shows i've got almost 90GB of 'documents and data'. If i check in settings->general and add up the apps it is nowhere near to this value - it should be 20Gb max. Any ideas whats causing this and how I can fix it? Due to the apparently huge amount of docs I have, im getting memory full notices.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 385

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
My grandpa's iPhone 6 had this but not as much as 90GB.

He talked to Tier 2 and engineers at Apple - he had to do a restore but when he restored from backup it came back so ultimately he had to do a DFU and set up as a new phone and he lost everything that wasn't in iCloud sync. He didn't use iCloud, lol, so he lost absolutely everything. Contacts, pictures, texts, everything.

He was pissed that Apple couldn't make it right.

Grantym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Thanks Macgeek. Good to know im not the only person this has happened to, but still frustrating there isnt an easy fix. Its a shame theres no way to view the documents on the ipad. It sounds like the only way to fix is to backup then factory reset. Not ideal!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Do you use Apple Music? It could be cache in the background. Try downloading Battery Doctor and running the Junk cleaner. Its a pain in the butt, but there is a bug with how Battery doctor works with iOS 9.2, so after each time you run it, you need to turn off the device and turn it back on and run it again. You might have to do this process 10+ times, but it should give you back all of that storage. Seems like it would be worth the 20-30 minutes to get back your 90GB. Or just restore it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Plug your device into iTunes and see what the data storage shows. I am guessing you might see a very high chunk of "others" which is a well-known and infamous bug caused by faulty caches not clearing themselves.

The fastest way of clearing it would be to restore your device. Back it up, then restore and you should see most of your free space return. Annoying yes, so block out an afternoon or evening for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.