Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LuxBrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Hi all, just joined this forum. Have commenced my Mac collecting career with buying (at an extortionate price!) what I hope is an original 1984 128k. However, I did want to cross check the authenticity as it came through ebay and we all know what skullduggery can go on there. It is badged just "Macintosh" on the back but is there a resource somewhere that will enable me to cross check the serial number to ensure I have an original (i.e. to get an approx date of manufacture) and nothing re-badged? (The serial number is F4341QPM0001 - in case anyone can help me directly). Or are there any other ways of confirming this is an early 128k rather than a 256k or a later 128k - either inside or outside the case?

All help and comments gratefully received.

Have great days.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well, for starters, how much memory does About This Macintosh report?

Also, try running System 4 on it, as far as I know it doesn't run on a 128K. Therefore, if System 4 works, it's not a 128K.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I think that's an original but I'm not sure. One way you can tell is by looking at the name badge on the back by the Apple logo. If it's an original, it will say "Macintosh" (example), if it's a later model, it will say "Macintosh 128k".

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
LuxBrit said:
The serial number is F4341QPM0001
F = It was made in Freemont CA.
4 = It was made in 1984
34 = It was made in week 34
1QP = Is the sequence number
M0001 = Is the model number

Note: This is from memory, what I was taught at the time, but I'm sure it's correct.

LuxBrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Many thanks ...

folks - and especially to Macquariumguy for his input on interpreting the serial number. Looks like I have one of the last 128k's made before they split production betwen 128 and 512 in September 1984 (and introduced the Macintosh 128k badging).

Hope to return the favours one day. Have good days/evenings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.