Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Way back in 2015, I uploaded to YouTube the first ever 8K 360 video. The video was a timelapse from the roof of the ATC tower at Dubai International Airport, taken with 4x Canon 1Ds Mark IV's that shot a total of over 80,000 still images that were then stitched together.

The original rendered file was actually in excess of 12K resolution, but until last month, there has been nothing available to play it back that had decent screens.

The file is rendered at 320Mbps, stored locally on the AVP, and played back using the Sphere app.

Unfortunately right now, the only way to demo this is by getting a screen capture from the Vision Pro, which adds a lot of compression, but hopefully you'll get an idea of the experience of watching this from this screen capture -

Last edited:
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I'm sure it looks amazing on the AVP, any chance you could upload it to google drive or something? And I haven't heard of the Sphere app, is that better than Moon VR for playing crazy high bitrate like this?

Reactions: Dovahkiing

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Way back in 2015, I uploaded to YouTube the first ever 8K 360 video. The video was a timelapse from the roof of the ATC tower at Dubai International Airport, taken with 4x Canon 1Ds Mark IV's that shot a total of over 80,000 still images that were then stitched together.

The original rendered file was actually in excess of 12K resolution, but until last month, there has been nothing available to play it back that had decent screens.

The file is rendered at 320Mbps, stored locally on the AVP, and played back using the Sphere app.

Unfortunately right now, the only way to demo this is by getting a screen capture from the Vision Pro, which adds a lot of compression, but hopefully you'll get an idea of the experience of watching this from this screen capture -

I haven't had luck with Sphere yet getting it to play even "simple" 180º locally stored videos, but I'll give what you linked a try.

MoonPlayer has been great with downloaded local 180º 3D side-by-side video but can't seem to make it work with 360º. Seems it's supposed to work, so I must be doing something wrong when selecting the output modes.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Wow - impressive work. I bet that looks amazing on an AVP. I particularly like the subject material. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.