Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hi all.

Finally going to replace my 2012 15" rMBP since the new models are 60 - 104% faster (CPU). I'm also downsizing since the 13" is still 60% faster. However, I often worked docked and with an LG 43" 4k monitor. I don't do any gaming but do some audio and video editing so was thinking about an eGPU. The BlackMagic is nice since it's quiet and it has 4 USB A 3.1 ports so it also acts as a docking station. The cost does seem in line with other eGPU enclosures plus video card cost but I'm not thrilled with the non-upgradability.

What others are people going for? There's the Razer-X but that doesn't have the USB ports. The Razer-V2 does - including ethernet - but not sure about the power to the laptop.

There are several TB3 docks. Could I get one of these with a TB3 passthrough to the Razer-X or other simple eGPU? Or would I have to run 2 TB3 cables. Caldigit has the great looking TS3. Sonnet has TB3 docks - including with drive bays - and eGPU, but not both in one unit.

If I don't get the BlackMagic, what video card is equivalent performance that works in the eGPU? How would noise be for the BlackMagic vs an enclosure + video card? Any reason to try and get an Nvidia card working if I'm not looking for mega performance?

Thanks!

David

Eightarmedpet

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
London's famous London
Head over to egpu.io for everything egpu related, but top line answers...

Don't get the black magic unless you need to connect and LG 5K Ultrafine display or you really value bespoke all in one design and quiet operation (both valid reasons to get it and personally I am tempted).

My Sonnet is super quiet and they offer passthrough (I believe) and are cheap (but off no additional ports).
I hear the ASUS egpu is super quiet too, excuse the pun.

Last edited:
Reactions: unfrostedpoptar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.