Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I’m on iPad pro 2018 and i used to have great battery life but recently i notice it’s draining much faster and I’m not sure if it’s because of iPadOS 13.4.

Anyone experiencing faster battery drain too?

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
The battery life is not as good for me too on my 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 on 13.4. I thought it would settle down after a while. its been 10 days since I installed the GM version. Gets even worse if I use my Magic Trackpad 2 with it.

Magnus Wehus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2020
I noticed a huge difference and tried to downgrade my iPhone 11 Pro to 13.3.1 again now, but only ends up with unknown error message (1) when restoring, and now I have a phone I cant use. Any suggestions?

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
What does battery under setting show is using up the battery?

Well, it’s mostly Safari that is using up battery. 88% last 24hrs.

I use the iPad mostly to browse the net and watch YouTube. And before i had really good battery life even when watching a lot of videos but now seems to drain faster.

Maybe using trackpad/ bluetooth adds to the battery drain as well?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I noticed a huge difference and tried to downgrade my iPhone 11 Pro to 13.3.1 again now, but only ends up with unknown error message (1) when restoring, and now I have a phone I cant use. Any suggestions?
Downgrade to 13.3.1 has been disabled by Apple.
Have you tried reset all setting? I experienced battery drain in 13.3 and reset all settings solved the issue. Just remind that it needs about 1 day for iCloud to completely Synced (in my case, thousands of notes & contacts).

Magnus Wehus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2020
Downgrade to 13.3.1 has been disabled by Apple.
Have you tried reset all setting? I experienced battery drain in 13.3 and reset all settings solved the issue. Just remind that it needs about 1 day for iCloud to completely Synced (in my case, thousands of notes & contacts).

The solution was this: Clean install 13.4 with the ispw file and then turn off Siri completely. Now my battery last even longer than it used to do.

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
My iPhone X with 13.4 is now draining significantly faster. No apps using a lot of battery but its dead end of day now with normal usage. Used to be maybe 40%.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Same with my 12.9” 2018. I used to get a solid 8 hours of work done on it. Now I am down to 5 and it really pisses me off. Nothing shown as unusual under Battery so I expect a background process running awry

Reactions: DB2k

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
The solution was this: Clean install 13.4 with the ispw file and then turn off Siri completely. Now my battery last even longer than it used to do.
And how exactly would one turn off Siri “Completely”? I’d appreciate a step by step

PeKiNLOL

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Hi All,

I have been experiencing really bad battery life issues on 13.4.1 and just decided to start using again my Apple Watch. It magically solved all my battery issues! I think there is a bug on 13.4.1 (maybe in 13.4 as well) where battery drains at a crazy rate in idle, there must be a bug where iOS looks for old paired Apple Watch (or potentially other devices).

If any of you are still facing a weird battery life issue, I would suggest to think about any paired device that you are not actively using right now.

Hope it helps!

Gpulvi

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
My iPhone XS (iOS 13.4.1) runs hot while using WhatsApp. I’ve updated the app, deleted, reinstalled it and nothing... yesterday, battery went from 25% to 12% in 8 minutes while chatting with a friend. That didn’t happen with iOS 13.3.1. I’ve also tried resetting general settings, network setting but no changes. Any suggestions?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I’ve had pretty terrible standby drain since about 13.1 or 13.2. It was happening on my 2018 Pro and now it’s happening on my brand new 2020 Pro that I did NOT restore from backup. I set this up as brand new. The only thing I’ve ever done that’s made a difference is turn wifi off when it’s not in use. That seems to bring battery drain in standby to a halt somehow. Nothing shows up in the battery chart when it’s in standby other than a minute of Siri here in there.

I think people are being thrown off by Siri showing up in the battery stats because it’s the only thing showing up in standby, but I really don’t think that’s what’s doing it and turning it off has never made a difference for me. I think it’s iCloud sync doing it honestly.

DeadKlau5

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
The standby drain is also absolute teribble on my new iPad Pro 11" (2018)
On my fathers normal iPad (2018) it is pretty good. What is going on here?
I restored and tried everything. Nothing helped :(

Does somebody has any idea?

iPad Pro 11" (2018)
2018 11.jpg

Apple iPad (2018)
2018 ipad.jpg

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
I’ve never had noticeable battery drain issues in any iOS release as much as latest for iPad 2018 as well. Hoping next iOS update will reset something to fix otherwise I’ll try reset and iCloud restore

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I’ve never had noticeable battery drain issues in any iOS release as much as latest for iPad 2018 as well. Hoping next iOS update will reset something to fix otherwise I’ll try reset and iCloud restore

How much are you draining in standby per, let’s say, 12 hours? If it’s between 5 and 15%, that’s about normal for the last few releases of iPadOS. I can tell you from LOTS of experience that logging in/out of iCloud, resetting the iPad, DFU restore, etc. will do nothing to help it. There is something this OS is doing to the in the background that is not letting things sleep like they should. I was never able to figure it out on my 11” 2018 iPad Pro, and the 12.9” 2020 iPad Pro I’m typing on right now has the same kind of drain, even though I did not restore from backup and just set it up as a brand new iPad and reinstalled all my apps from scratch.

I’ve read plenty of people saying they have the same problem and then plenty of other people saying their iPads hardly drain at all in standby. There’s just no rhyme or reason to it. It has to be related to an app or background process I have running, but nothing I have done has fixed it. The only thing I’ve ever been able to do that slows the drain WAY down is just turn off WiFi when I’m not using the iPad. I have a Shortcut set up in my widget bar right up at the top to toggle it on and off, so it’s just something I’ve gotten accustomed to doing when I pick up/put down the iPad.

I have one theory that I’ve been able to consistently demonstrate on my iPad(s). I think when you wake up the iPad by opening the cover, tapping the screen, etc. and then put it back to sleep, that brings it out of deep sleep and it doesn’t full go back into deep sleep and does whatever stuff it needs to do for a while before fully sleeping. During that time, it drains several percent off of the battery. If you constantly check during the day, you’re constantly waking it up and keeping that cycle going. That’s why at night it is not draining as much in standby—you’re not constantly waking it up and activating whatever processes it’s running while not fully sleeping.

I might be wrong on that entire thing, but it feels like that’s what the issue could possibly be. I’ve given up trying to fix it and Apple has been no help at all, so I just keep hoping the next update does some good. And the next. And the next. And so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.