Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
My iPad Pro never got warm when browsing the web or watching video, only when playing some 3D games. But since 13.4x update it gets warmer even during normal use. Anyone else experiencing it?

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
after updating to a new IOS the system reorganizes itself (for example now completely all the existing photo library, music lbrary, etc) PLUS synchronizes all of it with your personal cloud, if activated also with ALL other apple products like iPhone, macbook, mac Pro, ...., often via WLAN... and at the end,all this will be backuped automatically for each product.

the User does NOT realze this bevause it happens "in the background", using only ressources taht are actually NOT needed by the user during this period. this period can last a long time, depending on the number of data, number of communicating (synchronized) products, ....

all this needs a lot of energy. Because of this your processors and your batteries will produce much more heat than in the period before - just until all these processes are done...

BTW this happens only when connectes with your charger.

so, I think this is the reason for your iPad getting warmer.

IMHO this is also the simple reason for the millions of people getting in a panic-status because "Mimimi... after updating my iPhone has less battery time".

;)

just wait some days until all the background processing is done...

if you did a "clean upgrading" first disable all the energy-consuming options that are "on" by default...

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
doubt it’s that as I’m on 13.4.1 since it came out over a week ago. but who knows maybe it is doing some stuff in the background

Reactions: felixen2121

felixen2121

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
doubt it’s that as I’m on 13.4.1 since it came out over a week ago. but who knows maybe it is doing some stuff in the background

Yes. The same thing happened to my iPad mini 5 and it is driving me nuts. It definitely affects the battery. I guess it affects your battery as well?

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Not sure if the very latest update is affecting the battery (except the heat) so much but I noticed since the 13.4 update that battery life seems to have gotten worse.

felixen2121

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
Not sure if the very latest update is affecting the battery (except the heat) so much but I noticed since the 13.4 update that battery life seems to have gotten worse.

Yes. To me the device has been getting much hotter and battery performance worse since 13.4. There has been no change in that regard since 13.4.1.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Damn, my iPad Pro is really getting hot and I’ve only been watching some YouTube videos via Safari.

This never was the case before. Always cool during web browsing and watching videos.

Really frustrating. Hope 13.4.5 fixes this

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
This really bugs me. Because I was so enjoying the fact that my iPad Pro never got warm. And now it does since either 13.4 or the 13.4.1 update.

Anyone else with this issue?

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Me too. We have several iOS devices iPhones, iPads, of various vintages. iOS 13.4.x definitely runs the battery down faster and devices run hotter.

Seems like they’re running the CPU harder to overcome iOS bloat.

I’ve been waiting to upgrade my wife’s 11 Pro so she doesn’t complain.

I’ve tried a variety of install options, including DFU, and it doesn’t help.

Not as bad as the change from 12 to 13 (which forced my wife to upgrade from her 6s in the first place), but still super annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.