Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThingWizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
I updated Ventura to 13.6.5. The previous version has been running fine on my old iMac 8.1.

However, after this update OpenCorePatcher also said there is a new version 1.4.1, i updated that and patched the efi, rebooted and tried installing the post boot patches. Hovever I get an error in the end "Unable to build new kernel cache"

(Sorry I cannot seem to be able to copy anything from the log so i have to type) It says "Reason for patch failure (31): Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code =31 "Error occurred while building a collection" and then a lot of messages about Failed to bind tb_message_construct in com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily ... could not find a kext which exports this symbol

My guess is something changed in the Ventura update so the patcher no longer works correctly?
Solution - Wait for the patcher to be updated for the new Ventura version?

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Did you update directly via Software Update in Settings by any chance, and not via OCLP?

My understanding is that you shouldn't update Mac OS via Software Update in Settings on the next day of the update release, as it's risky. You need to google first if anyone else has any issues. Also I believe you always need to update OCLP first before installing the update via Software Update in Settings, not the other way round.

I noticed that 13.6.5 is not actually available through OCLP, even though this version is displayed when you build a new installer. The actual installer it downloads is 13.6.2. I don't think it's even theoretically possible to have the 13.6.5 installer ready in OCLP in 24 hours after its release, considering the number of machines they need to test on and the possible number of compatibility issues they need to fix.

"Updating macOS
So this is probably one of the most challenging parts, maintaining your system through OS updates. The main things to keep in mind:

- With OS updates, make sure everything has been updated and you have some form of recovery like TimeMachine or an older macOS installer with a known good EFI on it
- Do a bit of google-fu to see if others are having issues with the newest update"

Last edited:
Reactions: ThingWizard

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hi everyone,
I would like to understand something.
It's the first time I've used OpenCore, because I got a 15-inch Macbook Pro (Macbook Pro 9.1) for my daughter.
I managed to install OpenCore on this Mac and got the update to Ventura 13.6.5, as I currently have Ventura 13.6.4 installed.
For the moment I haven't done it yet because I really don't know how to update.
However, I updated OpenCore to version 1.4.1, because at startup I was asked to update and so I did.
I wanted to install the update via Software Update but I'm not very sure if this is the actual step.
What should I do ?
What is the correct behavior to follow to update the operating system?

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I would like to understand something.
It's the first time I've used OpenCore, because I got a 15-inch Macbook Pro (Macbook Pro 9.1) for my daughter.
I managed to install OpenCore on this Mac and got the update to Ventura 13.6.5, as I currently have Ventura 13.6.4 installed.
For the moment I haven't done it yet because I really don't know how to update.
However, I updated OpenCore to version 1.4.1, because at startup I was asked to update and so I did.
I wanted to install the update via Software Update but I'm not very sure if this is the actual step.
What should I do ?
What is the correct behavior to follow to update the operating system?

I don't know, but I've asked here:

ThingWizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
Did you update directly via Software Update in Settings by any chance, and not via OCLP?
Hi! I updated via the update settings. I'm pretty new to opencore legacy patcher, as in been using it a few days on some old machines I got my hands on, trying some different OS versions to see what runs acceptably. Also very new to Mac generally - But it's interesting.

I can clear the machine, it's not that important - but right now I'm downloading the 16.3.2 installer via OCLP and I'm going to try installing it to another temporary apfs volume until 16.3.5 gets sorted out. I just tried that once but got some errors after the installation, I wasn't watching so really don't know what happened. Making the installer again now, and making sure it's 16.3.2. - Gonna try again.

I've seem quite a lot of posts in the OCLP Discord support about people having issues after the 16.3.5 update. I'll be less trigger happy with the next update ;)

ThingWizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
Interestingly enough... Just got done installing 13.6.4 on another volume (To have a useful Ventura as I'm waiting for the 13.6.5 to be fixed. Still no go with the root patches on 13.6.4! What is going on here? The only thing that has changed is OCLP 1.4.1 instead of 1.3.0

And to be clear this is an iMac 8.1

EDIT: So I downgraded opencore legacy patcher to 1.30, re-did the efi patch, rebooted and did the post install patches. Same thing. Gives an error! So is there some kexts that have been changed server side, that are now downloaded and break Ventura on the 8.1 Mac?
Annoying, I don't understand.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I found the same on a CMPro 5,1. All updates are installed using a full installer removing the root patch prior and reinstalling it after.
- Monterey and Sonoma upgraded fine.
- Ventura is ending up with patch errors.

Reactions: ThingWizard

ThingWizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
It sucks I cannot copy anything from the root patcher console, but for me it fails with "Unable to build new kernel cache" and then refers to "com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily"

zterm

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2018
It sucks I cannot copy anything from the root patcher console, but for me it fails with "Unable to build new kernel cache" and then refers to "com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily"
Hi. Did you find a solution?

Running Monterey 12.7.4 on an old MBP 6,2. Worked fine until I updated OCLP.

Just updated OCLP from version 1.4.2 to version 1.4.3 and even though I have tried several times I have not been able to get the root patching to complete.

I have rebooted, gone back to 1.4.2 and even tried installing OCLP on a pendrive. No luck.

I am considering re-installing...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2024-05-02 a las 23.39.50.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2024-05-02 a las 23.39.50.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.