Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stitch19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
The place I live limits me to this budget and these two macbook pros are the best I can get(both specced devices come to a almost identical price):

• 13" 2020
  • 2.3ghz i7 10th gen
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1TB SSD

• 16" 2019
  • 2.3ghz i9 9th gen
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1TB SSD

I am a graphic designer and I am 99% in photoshop and illustrator. I would buy the 16" model in a heartbeat if I knew 16GB RAM will be enough. I do work rarely on 2-3GB .PSB(large photoshop files) and if I know the 16GB pro could handle them that would be great. 13" model small screen does not bother me as 70% of the time it will be hooked to a nice large monitor on a desktop, and that's why also the big size of 16" does not bother me neither.

It will be my first MAC device and its very important to be the right one as I am planning to use it as my work and only device for the next 5 years. With that in mind I am not sure what specs are more important for a MAC. I just know as a graphic designer my apps don't need a great GPU.

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
Absolutely no issues for your usage scenario. I have the 1tb base model with 16gb of RAM. I spend ours every day in Lightroom, Photoshop and Indesign and have absolutely zero issues. I routinely edit drone panoramas stitched together from 4-6 images, batch process wedding pictures etc - it just flies through everything. I came from a fully maxed out 2019 iMac with 40gb of RAM and Vega graphics and literally don’t see any noticeable difference in processing times for what I do.

32gb is required for video editing - not for photos, unless you edit billboard size images (but even for that it’s doubtful). People add more memory for “future proofing” computers. I think that argument is pointless. With the exception of extremely high-res video, software has been using up less memory, not more. And with the slow development towards universal apps (iPadOS + Mac etc), lean apps are the future. Plus: most people don’t keep their computers for more than 3-4 years anyway. If you only buy a new Mac once every 5-7 years, maybe. My gut feeling is telling me that most of us will have switched to ARM-based Macs within the next 3 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
  • 16" 2019
  • 2.3ghz i9 9th gen
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1TB SSD
Why not downgrade the processor, and upgrade the ram? Given the thermal limitations of the MBP, will you really see a major difference in the i9 2.3Ghz vs. the i7 2.6Ghz?

I'd say a 16" MBP with a discrete GPU, and larger display is a better option then the 13" MPB that you are also considering.

stitch19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
Why not downgrade the processor, and upgrade the ram? Given the thermal limitations of the MBP, will you really see a major difference in the i9 2.3Ghz vs. the i7 2.6Ghz?

I'd say a 16" MBP with a discrete GPU, and larger display is a better option then the 13" MPB that you are also considering.
I would love to do that but where I live there is no Apple store and I have to either get super overpriced pre configured macs locally or quite cheaper ones from ebay. I have no option what so ever to config the mac the way I want it, and it sucks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well if that's the case, I'd still opt for the 16" just because you're getting more screen, more cpu and more GPU

stitch19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
Well if that's the case, I'd still opt for the 16" just because you're getting more screen, more cpu and more GPU
If I am correct 16" GPU is actually an overkill for Photoshop and Illustrator which barely use it. I am more concerned for the RAM and CPU.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I am correct 16" GPU is actually an overkill for Photoshop and Illustrator which barely use it. I am more concerned for the RAM and CPU.
Yes, its probably overkill on creative cloud apps as they don't fully leverage the power of a discrete GPU. If that's the case and you can live within the smaller screen size of the 13" MBP, then yeah get that. its a fantastic machine, and you'll have the opportunity to buy one with 32GB of ram.

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
Yes, its probably overkill on creative cloud apps as they don't fully leverage the power of a discrete GPU. If that's the case and you can live within the smaller screen size of the 13" MBP, then yeah get that. its a fantastic machine, and you'll have the opportunity to buy one with 32GB of ram.

Sure, but 32gb of RAM are completely unnecessary for his type of work.

stitch19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
The OP seems to think he needs it, I don't disagree. I think 32GB is overkill for most usages ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Only reason I think i might need more is cause on my 7 year old PC in rare occasions I might use over 22gb of RAM. I am just clueless when it comes to MACs and if RAM managment is better and how overall a MAC will perform with 16GB.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
MacOS way better than Win10 for ram management. If you don't need the portability... GET THE 16!!! I'm dabbling in 4K video editing, hence why I went with 32gb of RAM. In Lightroom I don't come close to using 16gb, and that's with multiple 45MP RAW DSLR files loaded. (Just don't have 100+ Chrome tabs open at the same time!)
I have both machines and the MBP 16 gets used when I'm at home, the MBP 13 when I travel mostly. The screen estate for photo editing can't be emphasized enough!

Reactions: malkovich87

stitch19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
MacOS way better than Win10 for ram management. If you don't need the portability... GET THE 16!!! I'm dabbling in 4K video editing, hence why I went with 32gb of RAM. In Lightroom I don't come close to using 16gb, and that's with multiple 45MP RAW DSLR files loaded. (Just don't have 100+ Chrome tabs open at the same time!)
I have both machines and the MBP 16 gets used when I'm at home, the MBP 13 when I travel mostly. The screen estate for photo editing can't be emphasized enough!
Only thing I do that eats RAM is having high resolution design in PS with tons of layers.

Reactions: malkovich87

stitch19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
Sure, but 32gb of RAM are completely unnecessary for his type of work.
You are most probably correct and apologies if I seemed cocky, I am just worried not to get the wrong device, its my first MAC and I hope one of the many that I will have in the future.

malkovich87

Suspended
May 13, 2020
You are most probably correct and apologies if I seemed cocky, I am just worried not to get the wrong device, its my first MAC and I hope one of the many that I will have in the future.

Didn’t have the feeling you were cocky at all - it’s your personal decision what to get. All I can tell you is my opinion

There are other factors to consider here as well: while Macs do retain their resale value much better than PCs, the RAM size can net you a few extra $ when re-selling. That said, I’ve consistently gotten better re-sale value (and smaller losses) from my 15” models (have never sold a 16” lol) than from 13” MacBook Pros.

stitch19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
Didn’t have the feeling you were cocky at all - it’s your personal decision what to get. All I can tell you is my opinion

There are other factors to consider here as well: while Macs do retain their resale value much better than PCs, the RAM size can net you a few extra $ when re-selling. That said, I’ve consistently gotten better re-sale value (and smaller losses) from my 15” models (have never sold a 16” lol) than from 13” MacBook Pros.
That's great news cause I was thinking the opposite would be true, smaller cheaper model sells easier.

iDarkTraveler

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Does the 13" 32GB RAM you have level with the 16" at photo / video editing you're doing? I suppose the dGPU doesn't play that big of a role here.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Does the 13" 32GB RAM you have level with the 16" at photo / video editing you're doing? I suppose the dGPU doesn't play that big of a role here.
So far I haven’t come close to 50% memory use on the mbp 13
Yes I went ahead with the 32gb to make sure ram isn’t a problem going forward. I keep my machines for awhile. My last mbp 13 purchase was 7 years ago.
dgpu affects video editing much more.

you have 14 days to return with Apple. Just buy it and run it through it’s paces. If your memory pressure is hitting yellow often then return and get 32gb.

Reactions: iDarkTraveler

iDarkTraveler

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
So far I haven’t come close to 50% memory use on the mbp 13
Yes I went ahead with the 32gb to make sure ram isn’t a problem going forward. I keep my machines for awhile. My last mbp 13 purchase was 7 years ago.
dgpu affects video editing much more.

you have 14 days to return with Apple. Just buy it and run it through it’s paces. If your memory pressure is hitting yellow often then return and get 32gb.
My demands are not that extreme in terms of video editing that MBPro 13" would suffer. I was not asking in relation to my choice, but I was wondering between the 16" and 13" comparison in the apps or workload where dGPU is not needed. However, I consider the iGPU G7 to be solid. Just out of a curiosity, I'm struggling to find an information whether the MBPro G7 level with the i7 Air G7 (this would be for the first time), because according to what I have found, G7 max. clocking is 1100. Kudos to the Air if I am correct.

As for me, I work with a large excel files (usually multiple excel files opened), PyCharm and CLion (occasionally VS on boot camp) and for this tasks there is not even a need to go Pro, maybe (I stick with Safari :D).

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
My demands are not that extreme in terms of video editing that MBPro 13" would suffer. I was not asking in relation to my choice, but I was wondering between the 16" and 13" comparison in the apps or workload where dGPU is not needed. However, I consider the iGPU G7 to be solid. Just out of a curiosity, I'm struggling to find an information whether the MBPro G7 level with the i7 Air G7 (this would be for the first time), because according to what I have found, G7 max. clocking is 1100. Kudos to the Air if I am correct.

As for me, I work with a large excel files (usually multiple excel files opened), PyCharm and CLion (occasionally VS on boot camp) and for this tasks there is not even a need to go Pro, maybe (I stick with Safari :D).
Your use case would even be good with a mba. For your use case though a large screen would be beneficial. Would go with mbp 16 if you’re not doing much air travel

Reactions: iDarkTraveler

iDarkTraveler

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Your use case would even be good with a mba. For your use case though a large screen would be beneficial. Would go with mbp 16 if you’re not doing much air travel
I usually have an option to connect external monitor, so getting a bigger screen is not an issue. I also consider the new Air to be strong, but I'm just little worried what if I found myself in a situation where the Air slow-down (it may be a pointless concern, I just can't say for sure). Maybe even 8GB RAM which is now fast will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.