Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi there,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro 13 and I'm trying to decide if the screen is too small for me or that it is just getting used to. I study part time Computer Science and thats why it is difficult for me to assess whether I will need a large screen for coding. Besides studying I work full time in business and use the laptop for surfing, office and mail.

The solution I was thinking of is to use the 13 inch together with my iPad Pro. Then I can use the iPad for documentation etc.

Is there someone with a similar case? Did you get used to the 13 inch?

Cheers!

Huddy

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
I had a 2016 13" and recently a 2018 15". I went for the larger laptop because I felt the 13" screen was a little cramped for my coding needs, but after a week with the 15" I was left feeling the screen size was still quite limiting and I'd lost some portability in the process. (Full disclosure my eyes have lived 40 years btw).

I'm going to have to purchase a separate monitor no matter what size I go for so as portability ranks over a dedicated GPU, I'm heading back to a 13" with a 4k monitor for the office and I'll just have to continue with the the 13" screen real estate when out and about.

Plenty of people code perfectly well on a 13" laptop and smaller!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.