Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I don't normally post in here, but about a month ago my company replaced my 2015 MBP with a 2022 M2 MBP (13"). For my own personal setup I run seven displays off a 2009 MacPro. Two of those displays are 30" Apple Cinemas. For the past couple of years I've been using both those 30" displays with the work issued MBP via a KVM switch and Apple Duallink adapters.

I wanted to offer my solution to the problem of dual displays with a 13" M2 MBP in case anyone else has issues. And in my research for this I know others have had issues. I've read a few posts here.

Anyway, I immediately discovered that the 13" will only support one external display. I'm not sure my bosses knew about this, but I found out. I usually use my work Mac in clamshell mode, apparently not anything any of the other designers in my job do. So, only one display was a problem.

I solved the first problem of an external 30" Cinema Display with the Club 3D CAC-1510-A adapter:

But the problem of the other display took a month. My boss provided a hub which had a HDMI port, but that hub does not remove the restriction of a single external display. I needed another hub that had DisplayLink, something I also use with my MacPro.

I got my boss to buy the UGREEN 9 in 1 dock which uses DisplayLink and provides both DisplayPort and HDMI ports:

That got me A second display, but NOT my second 30" Cinema Display. For a couple weeks I was using the new MBP with a second smaller display. But it occurred to me over the previous weekend that I might try searching Amazon again for a duallink DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

Club 3D to the rescue again. CAC-1010-A.

This adapter, plus the Apple adapters I was using previously required USB power. I learned a trick at the time to use one of those iPhone square power adapters and just plug the USB cable into that. So, I did this again with this new adapter cable.

And because of DisplayPort, two 30" Cinema Displays are now again being driven from my work laptop.

Most importantly, you must get the Club 3D adapters that have HDCP OFF! The other ones will not work as the old Apple Cinema Displays are not HDCP compliant.

2023-08-15 15.48.10.jpg 2023-08-15 15.48.14.jpg 2023-08-15 15.48.21.jpg

I hope this helps anyone out there looking to do this.

PS. I do not use the display on the right (which is the one connected via DisplayLink) for any video. It's mainly used as a static display for Finder and app windows. I've read that DisplayLink has some limitations with constantly changing displays such as you'd find with video. Secondly, it is DisplayLink so on boot it takes a few seconds before the signal is processed, sent to the display and the display turns on. So, if you try this, give your display a bit of time to wake up.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPack

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Have you experienced the flickering pixel issue with the Club3D adapter?

I bought one, HDMC off, but have returned it due to this issue.
Sorry it took so long to reply. I did not see your post. I've been using this setup for about two months now and I have not noticed any flickering. No idea why your cable was giving you problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.