Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreakerGolden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2021
Hey guys!

Lately I'm having some serious issues with my 2 yrs old 13" Macbook Pro (2017, with TouchBar, 4 Thunderbolts, 512Gb). It started about a year ago (while still on Catalina). When I left it in sleep mode for the night and I opened it in the morning I noticed that my computer restarted because of an IONVMeController related issue. It didn't disturb me too much back then, but in the last few months it started to crash on me during daily use as well.

The OS becomes unresponsive randomly – I still can move the cursor for half a minute or so, but in the end it just restarts with a kernel panic. Sometimes I can use it for half a day without issues, but sometimes this happens like in every 5 minutes which drives me crazy. I can't tell exactly what triggers it, but I noticed that this happens a lot more often when it's using the disk more heavily – like installing apps or updating the OS. However, it seems to happen less frequently when the notebook is plugged in to the wall or it's on the dock.

Updated to Big Sur and reinstalled the OS a few times (with formatting the disk), but it didn't really help. I also tried to reset the NVRAM and SMC – it helps to get out of restart loops, but the problem comes back eventually.

I suspect this is an SSD problem, but the funniest thing is, that I have zero issues if I use the Windows 10 on Bootcamp, so i don't know what to think anymore...

Do you have any idea what may cause this, or any possible workaround to solve it?

Attachments

• mbp_error.jpg
    mbp_error.jpg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 122
  • kernel_panic_report.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.