Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I’m on my second iPhone 13 mini. The first one the battery started going bad then having thermal issues which really ate it up. Now my replacement 13mini, about a year old, suddenly has had its battery drop from 100% to 92%, it’s been giving the warnings about not charging until it cools. I woke up today at 6:30am and by noon my battery was showing 8%. General use. Plugged it into a USB port (I think 15w) and 10min later it was already showing 30%. I love the phone but get the feeling it’s quickly becoming a dud as well. Maybe a design flaw. Anyone else experiencing similar?

On another note the first time I went through this my battery dropped to 89% and the phone said the battery was good. I’d taken it to the apple store and the rep came back saying they could see that for four minutes it was in thermal runaway and was in bad shape. So the phone software said its health was good but the store said it was unsafe and could burn up if I kept using it. I think the software on here is a joke being played on us always saying it’s fine.

Reactions: Saturn007

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I have a 12 mini and its battery health (in Settings > Battery) dropped down to 84% after 3-4 months of use and stayed there ever since (3 years this coming December). To get a better idea of your battery health try using CoconutBattery (if you have a Mac).

Stopping charging when iPhone is hot is totally normal and actually saves your battery on the long run.

What surprises me the most in your story is that the Apple Store did not offer you a battery repair if they saw that it “was unsafe and could burn up if I kept using it.” This is the weirdest bit, the battery % drop and not charging while hot are to be expected, however.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Maybe a design flaw. Anyone else experiencing similar?

I haven’t had any issues on my 13 mini, and actually have been extremely impressed with the battery so far.

I have had my 13 mini for a year and a half, and I’m currently at 99% maximum capacity.

I don’t use my phone as much as it appears most people do, so maybe that is a factor for my experience.

Or maybe you just had really bad luck?

Reactions: RRC

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I have a 12 mini and its battery health (in Settings > Battery) dropped down to 84% after 3-4 months of use and stayed there ever since (3 years this coming December). To get a better idea of your battery health try using CoconutBattery (if you have a Mac).

Stopping charging when iPhone is hot is totally normal and actually saves your battery on the long run.

What surprises me the most in your story is that the Apple Store did not offer you a battery repair if they saw that it “was unsafe and could burn up if I kept using it.” This is the weirdest bit, the battery % drop and not charging while hot are to be expected, however.
They did offer a repair, they couldn’t fix it, so they replaced it. It’s why I’m on my second 13mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.