Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveinJapan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Japan
I have some video clips on iMovie and wanted to see if this is a normal size for a video file. One is 13 min. and is 2.61GBm the other is 15 minutes and is 3.04GB, is this normal (I'm in a debate with friends over this, they insist that these files should be much smaller)?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
DaveinJapan said:
I have some video clips on iMovie and wanted to see if this is a normal size for a video file. One is 13 min. and is 2.61GBm the other is 15 minutes and is 3.04GB, is this normal (I'm in a debate with friends over this, they insist that these files should be much smaller)?
I know nothing about video but that seems big to me. A whole DVD is only about 5 GB.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
That's about right. You are working with DV footage right? DV25 = 3.6MB per second, or 13 GB per hour.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
mad jew said:
Isn't it like Garageband in that the files are massive until you export them?

Rule of thumb is 4 mins of DV stream footage = 1Gb.

DVD's use MPEG2 encoding which drops from 3.2Mb/sec to a maximum of 9Kb/sec usually running at around 6-7Kb/sec, so a minute of MPEG2 comes in around 35-45Mb.

This is dependant on frame size, bitrate and frame-rate too.

You don't have to use MPEG2, QuickTime allows many codecs to be used, the new H264 is a very good quality vs Size trade-off, as is the Sorenson 3 codec.

Many cross platform vids are done in DivX, which is, I believe, a variant of the AVI wrapper.

Video makes for big files, I've got around 200Gb of active video on a Lacie FW800 at the moment and I'm an audio engineer... Go figure... :D

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I work with uncompressed PAL SD video at work, that works out at about 70GB per hour. That eats up HS space quite quickly. It is fun to work with as the Dell I have to use, only has a second internal drive for the media & it is only just fast enough to capture video on. :D

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
yeah definitely had to pick up an second external drive last week to keep up with space. I've been working on some side projects in FCP from miniDV and with four tapes logged I've already eaten up 80 gigs of a 250 gig HD. Must be ridiculous to work with Hi-Def!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.