Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris18181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I was using my 13 Pro Max last night when i dropped it on the floor in my car and it went dead, I have tried to do a hard reset several times and it will not turn on. I also had the apple store check it out they did some diagnostics and said it was most likely the motherboard and wanted $499 to replace it. I am thinking the battery might be bad as I have had this phone for over a good 2 years and I am a heavy user and always charging my phone. I am hoping all my photos and music can be recovered if i am able to get it to power on as i have 70,000 songs that i spent a year downloading onto the phone. alot of music is from iTunes too. I do have a backup saved on my computer so i should be able to recover most of the photos. I've dropped another phone and shattered the screen and it still worked till i got it replaced. my 13 Pro Max has no signs of damage at all. maybe something came loose?

I ordered a genuine oem apple battery to see if it will power up

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Anything is possible after a drop.
Is it dead if you plug it in to your charging method?

Chris18181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
Anything is possible after a drop.
Is it dead if you plug it in to your charging method?
yes, I have tried 2 different chargers, and when i went to the apple store they tried using a Magsafe and still wouldn't work, when i do try to charge it the phone gets warm but i think that is normal. I'm hoping a battery swap does something at least

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
2 years for a battery shouldn't completely render it dead no matter how many times you charged it. It should do something when the Magsafe charger was connected or multiple chargers were tried. It may die quickly but you should get at least the red battery low with the cord being plugged in animation when you connect it to power. I'd say the phone suffered some kind of damage due to the fall. You never know and might get lucky so replacing the battery is worth a shot

Chris18181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
2 years for a battery shouldn't completely render it dead no matter how many times you charged it. It should do something when the Magsafe charger was connected or multiple chargers were tried. It may die quickly but you should get at least the red battery low with the cord being plugged in animation when you connect it to power. I'd say the phone suffered some kind of damage due to the fall. You never know and might get lucky so replacing the battery is worth a shot
I've never used a Magsafe charger before, the apple team member only left it on the charger for a few seconds so maybe it didn't have time to boot up.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I have had this phone for over a good 2 years

How did you get this phone 6 months before it was released? 🤔

Back in the day I dropped my 6s face down on hard concrete. I had a bumper case... no physical damage, no cracks, but screen was completely killed dead. Luckily I could still power it up, so I did a screen swap, made a backup, and got a new Xs.

Chris18181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2023
nevermind I forgot i purchased it straight out and it got damaged as well, so i had to buy my 2nd one on an installment plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.