Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Sticking to my 13 Pro Max.
I think if you value:
- Always on Display
- Photography (new 48MP main senor, new ultra wide and new Selfie)

Then it’s well worth it, outside of those it didn’t really sound like much has changed (of course the Dynamic Island is the big change in aesthetic).

Have to say the entire 14 range is kind of underwhelming, great for someone coming from Xs and older I think.

If you are the sort of person who just jumps to the latest yearly then it’s not even worth thinking about it, you’ll just get it regardless.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
On the fence. Main reason for me to upgrade is that my 12 Pro Max battery life is beginning to be an issue and the only time I did a 3 year refresh was from X to 12 Pro Max and that proved to be a year too long as the final year with the X was pretty dismal battery life. My 12 Pro Max should get more life out of it, but if I can do an upgrade via Verizon for around $300, then I probably will.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Other than the size of the display, every other feature has been updated. So yeah, there is a point.

I think 13 PM owners got the short end of the stick given how big the changes were this year.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
To be honest I upgrade every year pretty much because I want to. Looking forward to the camera upgrades for sure. Dynamic Island looks like a "fun" feature that acts as an always-available app switcher of sorts.
If you have the cash to… more power to you.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Also the 14 is said to have Samsungs newest panel. The M12, the only other phone with it right now is Samsungs foldable phones. And when comparing the foldable 3 (m11) to the foldable 4 (m12), real world users state the difference in the OLED panel is quite noticeable. So expect that for the 14 vs the 13.

Reactions: Kataran

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Probably the most look warm launch overall I’ve ever seen. The whole thing. AirPods was disappointing AF.
iPhone only thing for me was new colour but hardly an upgrade reason - I love my gold and my wife’s sierra blue.
Watch Ultra is cool but honestly my S4 is fine.
Nothing killer exciting to me and I’m not being a Debbie downer.
Not a great day for the shareholders.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Probably won’t be upgrading. $720 for my 1TB 13 Pro Max was disappointing. $1000 was too good to be true. I won’t do the carrier upgrade ever again.

Aod does not really allure me because I have an Apple Watch and spend most of my day on a Mac.

The cameras look nice. But my 13PM has met and exceeded my photography needs at the moment.

I really like my phone. Battery is 103% capacity. I’ll feel even better about upgrading next year and getting $500 for this phone.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I’m considering going from the 13 Pro to the 14 Pro Max. I want to upgrade but it’s just hard to justify. Best case scenario, I can upgrade for $400. But if I can upgrade for $400, that just gets me a bigger display and battery, a new color, the dynamic island, and some camera improvements when I barely use my camera now. Part of me is like “treat yourself!” But I also upgraded to a 2021 16” MBP this year which was already definitely a splurge. Sigh. :confused:

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I’m considering going from the 13 Pro to the 14 Pro Max. I want to upgrade but it’s just hard to justify. Best case scenario, I can upgrade for $400. But if I can upgrade for $400, that just gets me a bigger display and battery, a new color, the dynamic island, and some camera improvements when I barely use my camera now. Part of me is like “treat yourself!” But I also upgraded to a 2021 16” MBP this year which was already definitely a splurge. Sigh. :confused:
Same situation as you. Lol. 16 MBP. :).

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
I think as harsh as we being on the iPhone launch, and I say this every year, apples strength (one of) is that they don’t drastically change each year which ensures your expensive investment isn’t outdated really quickly. This is further backed by their long iOS support.
I have a 13PM and I’m glad the new one doesn’t make mine obsolete. For starters I’d start trying other brands if it did, but it also makes upgrading every few years more palatable.
iPhone 14 is a win for new buyers and current owners alike.

snfrd84

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2021
For me, being an Android guy for years, the AOD is a game changer. Looking forward to that.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Sticking to my 13 Pro Max.
I think if you value:
- Always on Display
- Photography (new 48MP main senor, new ultra wide and new Selfie)

Then it’s well worth it, outside of those it didn’t really sound like much has changed (of course the Dynamic Island is the big change in aesthetic).

Have to say the entire 14 range is kind of underwhelming, great for someone coming from Xs and older I think.

If you are the sort of person who just jumps to the latest yearly then it’s not even worth thinking about it, you’ll just get it regardless.

I just wonder what the real world difference on the camera will be. Will it truly be a noticeable improvement on photos?
We’ve been let down by promises of huge camera improvements over the last couple of years.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I failt to see the satelite SOS being a must have feature.
The AoD and camera improvements might make some people want to upgrade.
But other than that, the target market are people with older iPhones. Those with iPhone Xs Max/11 PM will be delighted with the new pill look, 5G, and pro-motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.