Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmouredBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I went on holiday to Japan in November and used a Japanese SIM card during the trip and then a travel Sim, when I arrived back home to Switzerland and reinserted my "home" Sim it no longer worked, I visited the carrier shop who just switched it to an ESim.

A few months later I switch provider and of course the physical SIM card is recognised, calls work but carrier data can't be activated.

I've tried everything, carrier checked their end, I disabled/enabled mobile data, I reset all network settings, restarted phone, removed and reinserted SIM, I reset the entire phone so tried with an effective factory reset phone, the same.

My partner has the same phone (albeit 256GB instead of my 512GB) and she had no issues, her new SIM card works perfectly but in my phone the same "no carrier data issue is there.

The only solution I see is switching to an ESim but I'll have to sell the phone as unable to work with standard SIM cards when I upgrade.

It must be a hardware issue but how could have using a foreign SIM card for a few weeks have caused this? I've done it many times before.

Help!!

Any suggestions on what else I could try?

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
Hardware failure could be caused by any wear and tear. Dust or oxidation. Try gentle cleaning with air or isopropanol. Maybe a bent sim tray causing loose connection. Etc.

ArmouredBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Hardware failure could be caused by any wear and tear. Dust or oxidation. Try gentle cleaning with air or isopropanol. Maybe a bent sim tray causing loose connection. Etc.
Thanks, I tried the SIM tray from partners phone to no avail.
Will try a clean though.

Did a quick clean to no avail, will get an air blower later.

The thing is, the card is read and recognised, calls no problem, it's only the data that's the issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.