Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Attachements were deleted to save Apple the trouble of emailing me to delete them. :)

This person submitted this to me, and I did not post it for a couple of reasons. He chose to post it himself, which is his choice... but his apple account will certainly get closed down.

The pdf does show proprietary Apple information. The only interesting part of it for end-users like us is that they show Firewire 2 connectors being tested/consirdered back in 6/02.

arn

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
They did this one. If you look at some of the other things at the site, it asks you for a password. There's sections for Motorola, IBM and Intel, but there's either nothing there or it's password protection. :(

tliptak

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
if you click on vender there is a list of vendors. IBM and Intel are there. So is Moto. but it is password protected if you click on ibm.

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
isn't "p58" the name for the powermac or something??? that's about all i got out of that article except for the fact that they mention 1394b.

kungfu

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
also the P58 is tested at 167 MHz...just another thing i found on those pages...a disk image entitled P58_167MHZ.img the disk includes a system folder, inside is "Finder" that will not launch, "Core2001 Firmware 4.4.5b7," and "System"

i would fool around and replace my finder with this finder, but i don't want to mess up my system...anyone wanna try? pm me

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
also the P58 is tested at 167 MHz...just another thing i found on those pages...a disk image entitled P58_167MHZ.img the disk includes a system folder, inside is "Finder" that will not launch, "Core2001 Firmware 4.4.5b7," and "System"

i would fool around and replace my finder with this finder, but i don't want to mess up my system...anyone wanna try? pm me

I see that disk image, too. Notice that the date on it is July 17, 2002, the date of the MWNY 2002 Keynote.

Interesting...

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I mentioned this on the 28th in the mac general discussion forum. https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10435

I found downloaded it and told people to look at the pdf files inside the stuffed folder, but nobody ever posted anthing in response.

For those of you who have not seen it it just has a small engineering scematic that says 1394b connector. It is not that informative abouit specifications just that it does exist. I will not post the files as per Arns's request.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by kungfu
isn't "p58" the name for the powermac or something??? that's about all i got out of that article except for the fact that they mention 1394b.

kungfu

You're right! I went to search some older threads for the exact mention of this codename, because I remember when a guy camed here telling the specs of the New PowerMac that was coming, he mentioned that the QuickSilver was P57 and that this one was P58 ( His Nick Was APPLEP58!) He had a Pdf describing everything and he was going to tell more, he even said that the new case was the same color of the QuickSilver( When the Photo that was leaked showed the case White, and that was due to the flash of the camera QUOTE APPLEP58 : "By the way it's not white it's the same silver color G4s are now, teh image is distorted (stretched, but you knew that) the sides, top, and handles are indistinguishable from P57 (QuickSilver); just A COMPLETE change of the internal design, and front and back panel are different."
), until he was flamed by someone who just didn't believe that Apple would release that, and that the case that appeared on the Photo that was leaked was White... Oh well, one good source that was flamed by stupidity.

Back to the topic! Well if he mentioned that this "New PowerMac" was the P58, and we all saw that weeks later it really was, to me it just brings something in my logic... Since this new PDF that we have, show Firewire 2 on the P58, I have to ask you guys something... What a hell went Wrong??? Why didn't Firewire 2 maked it's debut on this Machine as it is on this new PDF?

Here is the link to the Thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=8083

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.