Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bep85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
Welp,
My MacBook 2011 is starting to get slow. I am pretty good with computers and I have done everything I can to keep it alive for almost a decade. But I think it is time to move on.

I am looking at a 13inch. But will I lose any computing quality vs. the 16inch (I.E. battery life, quality of hardware, and so on).

Now, I am worried at the same time about the new ARM CPUs coming out. To me it seems like Apple is a "buy the latest or get out" attitude (which doesn't bother, I find hacks to get around things - but I would like to avoid it if I can). But is this only going to last me a few years at this point? Am I going to run a major risk here getting a new Intel based MacBook? Will Apple ditch me in 2023?

Any thoughts would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The general rule (and a smart one, at that) is to buy a computer now if you need it now.

Considering you keep your laptop for close to 10 years, having the most powerful computer is not that important for you (that's a good thing). So, if we assume that, then buying a 13" vs. a 16" comes down to screen size, RAM and storage. Those are easy decisions to make.

As far as ARM CPUs, while they may announce them at WWDC this month, I highly doubt they will be released any time soon. Mid-to-late next year shipping seems more likely. That being said, they will be more powerful, and have a little better battery life, but they'll run the same software as the Intel Macs. You're not going to be "left behind" in any way.

There's ALWAYS going to be something better coming soon, no matter what Mac you buy, so it comes back to "if you need it now, buy it now."

Reactions: jerryk

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Never buy version 1.0

you better max out current Mac that can last you 4-5 years and see how ARM mac develops

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
I will say as someone who owned an early 2011 MBP and currently owns a 2016 TBMBP (both 13") I've been pretty happy with how long version 1.0 lasted. There were some concerns (battery swelling) but AppleCare covered it and essentially replaced everything but the SSD and the bottom case.

As someone who joined in the Core 2 Duo days as well, I think the transition kind of sucked for everybody. I definitely remember Rosetta apps I liked not running as fast as I needed them to and having to hunt for the apps updated for Intel.

So yeah, if you need it, buy it, if not you can wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.