Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I have read that battery life has been shot for many with iPhone 11 & 12.

What about for the newer SE? Should I update to 14.5.1 or hold off? I currently am on 14.4.2. Thanks.

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States
My honest, humble opinion: stay on 14.4.2. 14.5 has introduced some odd issues that have caused the bad battery life you have heard about. Phones getting hot while doing simple tasks like browsing the web, causing battery life to drop drastically along with others seeing performance of the phone come to a crawl. It seems like they might be making some headway in resolving these issues with today’s latest beta version, but 14.4.2 is a great version and if it were still possible to roll my own phone back to it, I would do so in a heartbeat!

My recommendation is to stay put for a few weeks and watch here to see if Apple releases a 14.5.2 to address the battery life issues and/or releases 14.6, at which point you should be alright to update.

Reactions: Mrs HBF

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
My honest, humble opinion: stay on 14.4.2. 14.5 has introduced some odd issues that have caused the bad battery life you have heard about. Phones getting hot while doing simple tasks like browsing the web, causing battery life to drop drastically along with others seeing performance of the phone come to a crawl. It seems like they might be making some headway in resolving these issues with today’s latest beta version, but 14.4.2 is a great version and if it were still possible to roll my own phone back to it, I would do so in a heartbeat!

My recommendation is to stay put for a few weeks and watch here to see if Apple releases a 14.5.2 to address the battery life issues and/or releases 14.6, at which point you should be alright to update.
Thank you

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008

I agree. I’d hold off. Battery life is taking a beating on 14.5.1.

tomekwsrod

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2018
I confirm. I've got the SE and SE2 and my impression is that the battery juice ends now faster.

pdr733

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2018
On a SE2 I experience significantly increased standby drain since 14.5 was installed. I would stay on 14.4.x in your place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.