Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Does xBench do more than just graphics? If so then I can easily see how it beats out the iBook. Still, the graphics performance of the iBook has really increased in the recent update :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
eXan said:
Hmm thats strange... Aren't iBooks' GPUs clocked higher than 5200?

I kind of guessed he's talking about XBench overalls, and not graphic scores. I don't think it would shock anyone if the PB outperformed the iBook in low-graphics productivity.

Ahhh, now if Photoshop only supported CI.... :(

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
What I would really like to see is someone run this same test on a 15" 64MB VRAM model powerbook. All you need to do is go to an open area and stand still for about thirty seconds. Display the frame-rate by pressing either ctrl + R or option + R (I can't remember exaclty) and write down the highest and lowest FPS you get. If you could post those scores I will put them up on the first post so we can see the difference between the GeForce 5200, Radeon 9550 and the Radeon 9700. THANKS in advance for whoever does this :D

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
lilstewart92 said:
GOD! I just hate it, hate it, hate it.....

you need to find something else to worry about... and was all of the cursing really neccessary?

as for the test... interesting results- have there been any benchmark tests, running photoshop? things like that? i'd be interested to see some of those results... the iBooks are definitely impressive little machines

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
gwuMACaddict said:
as for the test... interesting results- have there been any benchmark tests, running photoshop? things like that? i'd be interested to see some of those results... the iBooks are definitely impressive little machines

I have not run any test but I can be almost certain that the powerbook will be faster for photoshop, FCP and other processor/hard drive intensive applications. Also, I would imagine the 15" and 17" powerbooks beat the iBook in all tests including the (unofficial) WoW benchmark. Again, I would love to see a 15" user and even a 17" user (most recent revision) post their scores as well.

Sprite

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2005
There are comprehensive benchmark tests on Macworld.com for Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Unreal Tournament, etc. but they only test the 15" Powerbook (which has a faster GPU: the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700). They don't have scores for the 12" Powerbook's Geforce Go FX5200 GPU, which interests me most.

Interestingly enough, the iBook's score == Mac Mini, but the eMac score > Powerbook score. :\ How sad...

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
"Quote:
Originally Posted by persianpunisher
What cursing?

yeah ...really"

He probably meant "blasheming" or taking the Lord's name in vain. To do so is breaking one of the Ten Commandments, though I can't remember which one.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
So.. anyone want to take part in this "scientific" benchmarking experience with their 15" powerbooks? I would really appreciate it :)

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
This is kinda misleading, I mean the iBook is only better in video performance, everything else it would be equal or noticeably worse in. I had a 1.33ghz 15" powerbook and WoW didn't run too great on it in windowed mode. Macs just aren't the best for gaming, though I'm sure everyone has realized that. It was funny, I was playing WoW on a windows notebook with intel extreme graphics and a 1.4ghz Centrino, and it ran better than it did when I had my powerbook with Radeon 9700 64mb.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Lots of other things can affect performance. Did you check Activity Monitor? There might be something in the background sucking resources on the PB.

HP Printer software will do that (which is why you should never install that disc that comes with your printer unless you absolutely have to). Some widgets suck resources too, even though they are not supposed to. That crappy radio widget hogged my processor by 80% even when dashboard was closed. I knew something was up when my iBook was running hotter than hell.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
lilstewart92 said:
GOD! I just hate it, hate it, hate it, and hate it some more! when people say the 14" god damn iBook is ugly!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR... I've gotten REALLY sick of that, litterally. Oh, so you get a bigger screen w/ 1024x768 resolution, ANY 15" laptop i've seen (not widescreen ;) ) has had 1024x768, in fact i have to Toshibas in front of me that do. The image on the screen is NOT blurry, i mean wtf? HOW THE HELL IS IT BLURRY?

I just hate it when people say the 14" iBook is ugly when I just worked my fricken ass ALL SUMMER LONG, ALL DAY, AND....., and you say it's ugly?

wow
sorry if i'm like... going balistic over nothing, it's just people who have the 12" iBook or PowerBook (ITASOR, haha) COMPLETLY criticize the 14".

What the hell do you expect?? It's targeted for educational purposes! Educators/students don't always need top of the line Resolutions!

sorry.. just had to say that

Thank you! I have a 14" too and I love it!

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
mcarnes said:
Lots of other things can affect performance. Did you check Activity Monitor? There might be something in the background sucking resources on the PB.

HP Printer software will do that (which is why you should never install that disc that comes with your printer unless you absolutely have to). Some widgets suck resources too, even though they are not supposed to. That crappy radio widget hogged my processor by 80% even when dashboard was closed. I knew something was up when my iBook was running hotter than hell.

Ugh. Activity monitor pisses me off sometimes. Did you know it uses about 20% cpu? WTF? (The activity monitor process doesn't, its the "pm_tool" that activity monitor uses to probe for info) That is just dumb. The famous windows task manager uses about 4% or less

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I have noticed that this thread keeps going in circles. I have acknowledged that the powerbook is superior in almost every other performance aspect a few times in this thread. However, the point of this thread is to get the results of my little test on as many different GPUs in apple laptops as possible. I just find it interesting how much the performance fluctuates between different GPUs. Also, I'm just pointing out how crazy it is that the GeForce 5200 is still in commission in the powerbook line if the GPU in their iBooks beats it out.

And the powerbook 12" was fresh out of the box and WoW (plus updates to OS X) were the first things on it. If anything there were less processes running on the powerbook than on the iBook.

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
I had a 1.5 12 " powerbook for a few weeks and ran WoW... now I have the new 12" ibook... I took the 1 gig ram chip from the pb and put it in my ibook..

I've been playing WoW now on my Ibook.. i expected a dramatic decrease in performance... but so far i've noticed nothing....

and interesting thing you mentioned is that the frame rate between 512 ram and 1.5 gigs of ram seems to be exactly the same.. i spent 100 bux trying to get better performance for WoW on my Ibook.... was it a waste of money???

I tried running wow w/o the extra ram and I didn't really notice a dramatic difference...

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
Ok. But how about the eMac?

I know the eMac isn`t really a popular topic, but I just ordered one and I was wondering about how it performs compared to the iBooks, Mac Minis and PowerBooks? (Mainly the graphics part).

I hope I`m not disturbing this thread, but I thought that writing this in a new thread would not be well recieved. :D

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
leekohler said:
Thank you! I have a 14" too and I love it!

I am with you guys. Who ever says that the 14" looks bad is insane. The resolution is perfect for a laptop. I used to run my 17" CRT on my PC at 1024x768. Then I got a 19" CRT and I had it set to 1600x1200, perfect for photo editting. But people have to look at all the 15" PC laptops that ship with VGA displays.

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
Hey Guys,
I have the PB that you need for your little test and I would be willing to run it for you but I don't have a copy of WoW. Does anyone know a quick way to get a demo? Or we can do the same test in Halo... I have that here.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Chrispy
I have noticed that this thread keeps going in circles. I have acknowledged that the powerbook is superior in almost every other performance aspect a few times in this thread. However, the point of this thread is to get the results of my little test on as many different GPUs in apple laptops as possible.
Maybe by the 3rd page it will get there ;) One Q and it may not even matter but was the iBook using the AirPort or did you have it plugged in and the same with the PB since I'm thinking you were online with WoW and would frame rates suffer under interference?
Nice buy with the 14" iBook by the way Chrispy :D

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Video settings in WoW?

Have you guys checked if the video settings in WoW are exactly the same, for your tests? Video resolution, rendering depth, etc...

I mean, doesn't WoW automagically set the values depending on the CPU/RAM/GPU/VRAM the first time you run it?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Artful Dodger said:
Maybe by the 3rd page it will get there ;) One Q and it may not even matter but was the iBook using the AirPort or did you have it plugged in and the same with the PB since I'm thinking you were online with WoW and would frame rates suffer under interference?
Nice buy with the 14" iBook by the way Chrispy :D

The frame rate won't be affected by network speed/problems. You could still get 100FPS on a 14.4k dial-up connection.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
WoW isn't a very good benchmark because there is a massively variable amount of players (and triangles) the graphics card needs to draw. Also, you need to check the settings you've used, and what's running in the background at the same time. Oh and try getting an average FPS. Highest and lowest can be a bit unaccurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.