Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beemsterman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
I am looking to upgrade my macbook pro 15" 2017. Now I am hesitating between the 14" and the 16". Anyone have experience working in graphic design software (Figma, Sketch, Adobe software) on a 14" ?
The resolution is better 14" compared to the old 15", but screen size smaller. My doubt of the 16" comes mainly from my previous experience of a too heavy, clunky 17" compaq laptop I once got from work. It was literally a pain in the neck while carrying.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
I do my work on a 14, Affinity Deisgner and Photo mostly but also publisher.

Yes the 16 has bigger screen, but the 14 is completely doable.

I think, if you plan on traveling a lot the size / weight difference is probably what should concern you most, at home you can always hook up a bigger screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhodinut

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
How much portability important for you? Are you planing to connect it to external screen or only use the build-in screen?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
If you plan to use it regularly outside of home, then I assume battery life is something you’re also considering? If so, the 16 has superior battery life. The 14 is not bad, but the 16 is way better. The 16 also has better thermals.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am a full-time UX Designer currently working for a Fortune 500 that was previously using the 14" 32-Core M1 Max with 64 GBs of RAM. That was unnecessary overkill.

When I switched companies, my previous company took it back and I was given a 16 GB Base M1 MacBook Air and it still works wonderfully for Figma, Sketch, Adobe, Teams, etc.

Here's my decision tree for you:

1. Do you have an external display - If no, then get the 16" MacBook Pro. If yes, get either the MacBook Air or the 14" Pro.

2. Are you willing to pay about $900 more for a better screen, better webcam, and a little bit better future-proofing in terms of CPU and GPU power? If yes, then get the 14" Pro. If not, get the Air - but make sure you upgrade the RAM to 16 GBs.

Other notes:

-No need to upgrade to the M1 Max in any variant. UX Design isn't demanding enough to require that upgrade, and it just costs money and gives you a warmer machine with less battery life.

-The only upgrade I *MIGHT* consider is upgrading the ram of the MacBook Pro to 32 GBs - just for the sake of this truly being a professional tool that will make you money and the cost is relatively low, but even then I don't think it's necessary. I wouldn't even upgrade the SSD. I have a 256 GB MacBook Air and with Figma being in the cloud, I don't store nearly enough files to warrant the extra SSD storage upgrade.

-The Air form factor and portability are superior and feel better than the 14". It is just so slim, and lightweight, and being fanless is so nice. I work on this thing 8 - 10 hours a day with Zoom, Teams, Edge, Figma, Miro all open at the same time, and overheating is not a problem. I would honestly go into a Best Buy or Apple Store and feel the difference for yourself.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Gosh this is highly subjective! Everyone is different. What works for me, might not work for you & vice versa. By way of an example, just this morning a friend of mine mentioned the previous generation 16" Intel MacBook Pro she was gifted a few months ago is just too big for her. I can only imagine her sentiments on the newer design 16" MBP. As TSE mentioned, getting a hands on with the 14" vs. 16" at a store would provide some much needed perspective for you.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Gosh this is highly subjective! Everyone is different. What works for me, might not work for you & vice versa. By way of an example, just this morning a friend of mine mentioned the previous generation 16" Intel MacBook Pro she was gifted a few months ago is just too big for her. I can only imagine her sentiments on the newer design 16" MBP. As TSE mentioned, getting a hands on with the 14" vs. 16" at a store would provide some much needed perspective for you.
The new 16 is indeed beefy and bulbous so it’s best to check it out in person. I still enjoy it but I have have 2 days left to return it and am now considering swapping it for the 14 or just sticking with my M1 13.

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I would probably say that it depends on how much you'll be lugging around the laptop. The 16" screen is very nice, but I would probably go for the 14" if I was going to be carrying it around frequently.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
I have a Apple Studio Display at work so I went with the 14". I looked at the 16" but felt it was too big to lug around as I take my machine back and forth every night. That said, if I did not have the stand alone display, I would have gone 16".

Reactions: Cape Dave

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I would probably say that it depends on how much you'll be lugging around the laptop. The 16" screen is very nice, but I would probably go for the 14" if I was going to be carrying it around frequently.
Fair. But note the 16 has better thermals and superior battery life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.