Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your MBP do this?

• It did when I first got it, it went away

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • It did it and still does it to this day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It never did it

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Just got a new 14” M3 pro, and if the lid is left closed for a few minutes, then when it is next opened it has a sticky/popping sound. I know it’s the rubber seal perhaps sealing a bit too tight because if I open the display immediately after closing it or rapidly open/close it, there is no sound.

I’m hoping this will go away with time, but this never happened on my previous M1 air.

Searching Google I see a mixed bag of responses with some saying it’s never happened, while others saying it’s always happened at first, and some saying it never goes away unless they got it loosened/replaced at Apple. So nothing definitive.

Anyone else with a 14” MBP had a similar experience? Thanks.

lenteo

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2023
Did your issue go away?

I just got a space black 14'', and mine sticks since day 3. When I touched the rubber seal, I noticed five "joints" (not sure what they're called, five tiny dents) on the top that are symmetric. I wondered if that was the cause and did a replacement at Apple, but still the same. So I am assuming that this is a common issue...

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Did your issue go away?

I just got a space black 14'', and mine sticks since day 3. When I touched the rubber seal, I noticed five "joints" (not sure what they're called, five tiny dents) on the top that are symmetric. I wondered if that was the cause and did a replacement at Apple, but still the same. So I am assuming that this is a common issue...

Yes common issue - joints you describe have nothing to do with it and I’ve seen those indents vary on all of them.

Some are silent, some are not. I returned mine due to a different issue but did find multiple ones that don’t stick so they are out there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.