Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmacis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Should I buy 14 MacBook Pro M3 base model (8 cores and gpu 10 cores 16GB) or 14 MacBook Pro M2 pro model (10 cores and gpu 16 cores 16 GB) . Both cost $1600? I believe the m2 pro has 200GB/s memory bandwidth. Micro computer center brand new. General user, basic photo editing, virtualization and some coding.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Should I buy 14 MacBook Pro M3 base model (8 cores and gpu 10 cores 16GB) or 14 MacBook Pro M2 pro model (10 cores and gpu 16 cores 16 GB) . Both cost $1600? I believe the m2 pro has 200GB/s memory bandwidth. Micro computer center brand new. General user, basic photo editing, virtualization and some coding.
In this case I think because of the improvements in the M3 chip the two machines are probably evenly matched. I doubt the extra ram bandwidth matters all that much with this configuration.

Try getting an edu discount through Apple. Should save you a good amount and you could use that to upgrade the M3.

If I am buying an Apple product and I have the money to buy the latest model and it just came out, I am buying the latest model. I don't care what the discount is.

I think in your case getting the M3 will extend the useful life of what you buy. M4 will most likely still be on 3nm and maybe even M5. But any M series processor is good. I wouldn't buy M1 but M2 is still very good.

I would buy the M3 model first direct from Apple through edu store. See if you like it and test it out for 14 days. If you don't like it the sales on M2 machines are only going to get better as time goes on so you don't have anything to lose but if you buy M2 and have regrets later unless you are in the return window you are done. If I am spending top dollars of my money I want the newest stuff. That is just me though.

I see it like this. As technology improves and new chips are released they generally outclass what came before it even if the older device had a higher configuration. Same goes for devices and hardware generally. Sometimes there are regressions like the lower bandwidth but generally those regressions are done for a reason and don't generally impact the user at all.

So say I bought a $5/7k M1 MBP with M1 Max a few years ago. A base model M3 Max config will outperform it by a lot and it cost less than the machine bought a few years ago. In other words buying the highest end config in hopes of future proofing never works because technology that outclasses it becomes cheaper. Buy the best mid range config you can get on the newest process node and then rinse and repeat often. Don't spend so much on a high end config. Buy something that will work well for a couple of years then buy a new machine. If you sell the old one when you buy the new one then overall you will save more money buying more often than buying a big expensive machine and hoping it will last 10 years or so.

Reactions: jmacis

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I'm inclined to agree with technerd. Unless your virtual machines are doing some heavy stuff, I doubt that you will be stressing the machine all that much, so either configuration should be fine. I would lean towards the M3 simply because it's newer and will either last longer or sell better, depending on how you keep it.

These days, "good enough" lasts a lot longer than one might expect. My general office / browser / travel machine was a late 2013 rMBP, basically minimum spec except for 15" screen and 16GB memory. I would still be using that machine if it hadn't had a fatal accident last November. The M2 MBA that I have now is clearly faster doing a few things, and it's nicer and the screen is better; but most of the time I can't tell the difference between it and its predecessor.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The M2 Pro supports one additional external screen over the M3, has an additional fan meaning less fan noise overall and somewhat worse battery life than the more efficient M3. So if you want to plug in two external screens you'll definitely want the M2 Pro SoC, or the M3 Pro SoC and not just the M3. At 500GB storage the M3 model might have the faster SSD, though that might be limited to the M3 Pro and Max versions, not sure about that. One USB port less on the M3 as it doesn't have the required bandwidth to drive 3 ports, that needs a Pro or Max chip.

If they both got the same RAM and storage then for the same price the M3 has the better battery and if battery life is important to you it might be the better choice for you.

Performance is similar, older Pro SoC vs newer entry-level SoC. There isn't a clear winner here since you aren't comparing apples to apples, the clear upgrade over the M2 Pro would be the M3 Pro. The biggest differences aren't performance, they're the mentioned differences in ports, battery life, monitor support, fan design.

Personally I wouldn't know which one of the two to choose either, I wouldn't want the worse battery but I'd also not want to give up a port or have a noisier device. Apple is great at removing just one small feature here and there until you want to spend more money. If the M3 base model was another 100 bucks or so cheaper it would be an easy decision in favor of M3.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just some thoughts...

Don't buy a "non-pro" MBP (such as the base model 14").
Get one with an mXpro CPU (you're spending the $$$, why not get the "pro" iteration of the chip?)

Don't buy ANY new Mac UNLESS it has a minimum of 16gb of RAM.
Say this to yourself:
16gb is "the new 8"...

BE AWARE that any SSD upgrade (i.e., going from 512gb "base" to 1tb) will DOUBLE the speed of the SSD. For whatever it's worth.

If money is a factor, consider buying from Apple's online refurbished page. Same 1-year warranty as new, you can buy AppleCare if you want it, etc.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
(you're spending the $$$, why not get the "pro" iteration of the chip?)
...because one is significantly more $$$ than the other? The whole point of the thread is to make a decision within the given budget, spending 1k extra would solve all problems but then you'd be spending 1k extra. Easy to say when it's not your money.

BE AWARE that any SSD upgrade (i.e., going from 512gb "base" to 1tb) will DOUBLE the speed of the SSD. For whatever it's worth.
That is not accurate. On the 14" and 16" M2 versions the 500GB base has slower SSD speeds and going to 1TB will double the speed. That's it. Going from 1TB to 2TB won't double it again. And the M3 versions now have the additional NAND chips again (even for the M3 base model according to reviews) so the 500GB version is already faster there and there simply is no doubling with an upgrade. Which is a good thing obviously since all M3 models should have very good speeds.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The M3 is a speedy chip. But there is a significant difference between the M3 and the M3 Pro. Although a lot of criticism on M3 Pro because of less P cores but it has a lot more GPU capability than the regular M3. This is important to consider because besides ram, graphics and cpu can be major bottlenecks possibly in the future. If you plan on keeping the machine the M3 Pro MacBook Pro with 18gb ram and 512gb ssd goes on sale at BestBuy for $1799 and if you get a similar 13.6" M3 MBA it is $1499 Similar configured. That is a $300 difference. For $300 you get a 120hz mini led screen, a 6 speaker system, much better GPU and better multicore performance, many more ports and to me all of that seems worth it. I would generally side with the air but in terms of certain features I would prefer the Pro.

THAT being said. The 13.6" air is just so portable and light and you never have to worry about blocking a vent or overheating. You can use it anywhere and it lasts forever on a charge. The screen while lacking a lot of the advanced features is a beautiful IPS display with rich colors and color accuracy. The speakers are good but I hope more bass is added some time but the sound and screen and keyboard punch way above their weight. Of course there is room for improvement in the screen and speakers. So you can save at least $300 if you get an air. Air has the same sealed finish as the Pro and I think Midnight looks better than Space Black JMHO.

So what is more important to you? Maximum portability or better system? I reserve these comments ONLY for the 14" MBP only as the 16" is simply too heavy and unwieldy to be used as a on the go laptop. It is more a desktop replacement you can use anywhere. I mean it isn't terrible but 5 pounds is not light. So my comments only relate to the smaller models respectively.

I do think the weight of the 14" is noticeable compared to the air. The air is just very unique because it is always silent. It is so light you just use it more places. The 14" MBP is not too heavy but it can get a little uncomfortable and I think the design and edges or shape have something to do with it as well. The air just feels more comfortable in your hand and on your lap. So it is not an easy choice. Do you sacrifice that ultimate portability for the extra features of the Pro. In the 14" I think it is doable but there is a difference despite what others may say. You have to go to a store and compare the two in the real world.

But I agree with others I would go M3 all the way and skip M2 unless value is most important. M2 is still very good so it is a decent consideration but I also prefer the sealed finish on the new Macbooks as they have been fingerprint magnets for years now. Also having the option of regular M3 in the MBP is pretty cool to me. Big upgrade over the previous model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.