Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotr32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
PA
I have a 14 Pro Max and the back glass is shattered, do I use my carriers insurance (Asurion) and pay $99 and get a replacement (most likely refurbished) from them? Or do I pay Apple $549 and get an official Apple repair?

Backstory: I purchased this phone from a friend used, I plan on trading this in next year to Apple for the iPhone 16 Pro Max. I’m concerned if I get an insurance replacement, Apple won’t accept the trade in for not being genuine Apple parts.(Asurion refurbished phone)

I know it seems absurd to pay $549 for a rear glass replacement, but I am fortunate enough to find myself in the position to trade in some iPads to Apple for gift cards to put towards the replacement cost.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I have a 14 Pro Max and the back glass is shattered, do I use my carriers insurance (Asurion) and pay $99 and get a replacement (most likely refurbished) from them? Or do I pay Apple $549 and get an official Apple repair?

Backstory: I purchased this phone from a friend used, I plan on trading this in next year to Apple for the iPhone 16 Pro Max. I’m concerned if I get an insurance replacement, Apple won’t accept the trade in for not being genuine Apple parts.(Asurion refurbished phone)

I know it seems absurd to pay $549 for a rear glass replacement, but I am fortunate enough to find myself in the position to trade in some iPads to Apple for gift cards to put towards the replacement cost.
How would Apple know? I’ve traded in phones with replaced non Apple back panels and not had a problem. For reference, this was done twice. An XR for my daughter and an 11 for my son. Both repaired prior to trading by non Apple approved repair shops. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I got lucky?

hotr32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
PA
I don’t know exactly what they look for, but I do know when trading in a phone, it runs a diagnostics, and from what I saw, the diagnostics tool they run validates if the screen, battery and “rear” are authentic.
Maybe they can check if the frame or some component is authentic, but other than what I saw, I don’t know what they look for.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
How would Apple know? I’ve traded in phones with replaced non Apple back panels and not had a problem. For reference, this was done twice. An XR for my daughter and an 11 for my son. Both repaired prior to trading by non Apple approved repair shops. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I got lucky?
It's very possible the phone the OP will receive from Asurion will be refurbished by them so it could have 3rd party parts other than the rear panel that would show up on Apples diagnostic tool. I doubt they would repair his existing phone as it would be easier to give him a refurbished device and put his phone though the same process to give someone else down the road that needs a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.