Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I actually prefer the photos taken on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Everything on 14 Pro Max looks artificial and not like how it looks in the real world, almost „too perfect“ and not how colors appear in nature. If that makes sense.

Oh by the way, the other day I had to pull out my old iPhone 6 to be able to verify my identity online because the damn camera on my freaking „Pro“ phone literally could not focus to take a photo of my ID. It was too blurry and every verification process failed
That’s happened to me too and it’s maddening.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Well if you set your phone up stabilized, you can set exposure for 30 secs.
I took these with my 13 Pro in my backyard with very minor editing in the Photos app: View attachment 2257843 View attachment 2257842 View attachment 2257844
Well actually I had my iPhone 14 Pro max set up on my Skywatcher Star Adventurer which is a tracking device for astrophotography. My iPhone did take the full 30” exposure at ISO 12,500. Then edited in Lightroom mobile later that evening. I used the star tracker to avoid the star trails that show up during the 30” exposure in ProRAW mode.

The shot of the star trails with trees was taken using the Even Longer app. The exposure was for 15 minutes.

Your photos are good, the camera lens on the 13 pro causes vignetting due to its f/1.5 fast lens. Most of that can be removed in Lightroom. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: winxmac and GuruZac

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Having come from a Galaxy S21 Ultra I can without a doubt say the iPhone just doesn’t compete in most settings for camera, imo of course. That being said, on occasion the 14PM does surprise me now and then. The macro mode is very good. Shame there isn’t an astrophotography mode.
Get the even longer app and you’ll have an Astro mode. This Milky Way image was taken with my 14 pro max in night mode, 30” exposure (ProRAW) because HEIF or jpeg looks mushy and has less detail due to noise reduction. I had my iPhone mounted on the Skywatcher Star Adventurer to track the sky to avoid star trails.

The night mode in the Even Longer app (was available later as an update) works better than the iPhone default night mode because I can set my ISO and exposure time. The iPhone default night mode does not have any settings like that. It still does a great job, best in ProRAW, but maxes out the ISO.

This guy is good to watch and follow

Even Longer app was used for the star trails. You can expose up to 24 hours with the app.

IMG_2814.jpeg

Even longer: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/even-longer/id1546911907

Shadows-iPhone14ProMax-0.jpeg

Last edited:

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Conversion using RNI Films
RNI Films are the best. Thanks for sharing the description to those who might be interested.

Are you exporting with 100% quality going by the 16.8MB jpg output file? Do you think it is worth the space from your experience?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
RNI Films are the best. Thanks for sharing the description to those who might be interested.

Are you exporting with 100% quality going by the 16.8MB jpg output file? Do you think it is worth the space from your experience?
Thanks! The app Carbon just updated as well. Nice B&W files. Yes the RNI FILMS app is one of my favorites. I use that one a lot with photos and video. The filters are great and high quality.

To answer your question about 100% quality, I do export everything at 100% (48mp) because I love looking at hi resolution photos and sometimes I print my iPhone photos. The 48mp really is fantastic quality, especially when using the NOMO RAW app… love that camera app! So yeah.. totally worth it for me. My iPhone is a 1TB so I have plenty of space. I still have 878.6 GB available. I’ve seen my ProRAW files as high as 85mb before. The B&W edits save at a lower mb than the color.

Any other questions?

Here is a high contrast B&W conversion from the Carbon app.

IMG_0344.jpeg

When exported, this file is 70mp. Excellent!!!! I was hoping that would be the case instead of the Carbon app exporting as a small file for social media. $20/yr for that app. Totally worth it for me. I really like the canvas filters.

IMG_0346.jpeg

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Thanks! The app Carbon just updated as well. Nice B&W files. Yes the RNI FILMS app is one of my favorites. I use that one a lot with photos and video. The filters are great and high quality.

To answer your question about 100% quality, I do export everything at 100% (48mp) because I love looking at hi resolution photos and sometimes I print my iPhone photos. The 48mp really is fantastic quality, especially when using the NOMO RAW app… love that camera app! So yeah.. totally worth it for me. My iPhone is a 1TB so I have plenty of space. I still have 878.6 GB available. I’ve seen my ProRAW files as high as 85mb before. The B&W edits save at a lower mb than the color.

Any other questions?

Here is a high contrast B&W conversion from the Carbon app.

View attachment 2258016

When exported, this file is 70mp. Excellent!!!! I was hoping that would be the case instead of the Carbon app exporting as a small file for social media. $20/yr for that app. Totally worth it for me. I really like the canvas filters.

View attachment 2258027
Pretty amazing we live in a time where one electronic device can do so many tasks for us and take photos of that quality. Yet, we still find things to complain about. Incredible...

whizkid11

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Maybe not the worst, but definitely too big for what it does. The camera lenses and footprint on the latest iPhones are atrocious.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
My partner got the iphone 14 max pro and i have been borrowing it to take the cinevideo and its great! we did take some wonderful videos this summer with it..especially maid of the mist in niagara falls and felt like i had a pro camera on hand lol plus the wallop of water all around us in the chaos..it was great!

Reactions: ToddH and ctjack

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Maybe not the worst, but definitely too big for what it does. The camera lenses and footprint on the latest iPhones are atrocious.
Get a thick case and make them un-atrocious then! The reason the camera bump sticks out like it does is because I’ve read on this forum where so Many people wanted a thin iPhone. So I guess Apple made them thinner for you. So, get a think case and complain not LOL.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I'm a bit late to the thread but I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. I have taken some really brilliant photos with my 14 Pro Max, some so good that I genuinely don't think my DSLR could have done a better job. I don't really use the telescopic or ultrawide lenses, but the 48mpx sensor does a solid job.

I use the raw mode in the default camera app, then sometimes dump it off into Ps Camera Raw for some adjustments.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I'm a bit late to the thread but I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. I have taken some really brilliant photos with my 14 Pro Max, some so good that I genuinely don't think my DSLR could have done a better job. I don't really use the telescopic or ultrawide lenses, but the 48mpx sensor does a solid job.

I use the raw mode in the default camera app, then sometimes dump it off into Ps Camera Raw for some adjustments.

That’s the point. Knowing your tools is as important as buying them.

phl92

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2020
To update this thread, has someone tested himself or can link a video where this gets tested on the new iPhone 15s?

King_Kimbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
Essentially I want the final photo to look like it does in the camera app before the shutter is pushed... Once that magic button is pushed a second later you get a mutated over processed version of what you just composed in camera, including exposure adjustments etc.

King_Kimbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018

I use the camera in my studio a lot for quick reference shots. The iPhone X was good at giving you a photo that basically looked like what you were shooting in the viewfinder. 14PM obliterates it with way too much processing so it looks noting like the shot I composed....

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I use the camera in my studio a lot for quick reference shots. The iPhone X was good at giving you a photo that basically looked like what you were shooting in the viewfinder. 14PM obliterates it with way too much processing so it looks noting like the shot I composed....
Using the normal mode definitely applies a lot of post-processing, but have you tried enabling and using the proRAW feature? What I see on the of my 14 Pro Max is pretty much the image that's saved, I can't spot any differences myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.