Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Advanced user - sporting iPhone 13 Pro from 2 days ago - after years on Android. iOS 15.1. Disappointed with the following bugs:

- Search on Homescreen. Visual overlap and mess. See video.

- Shortcuts "ghosts". Once shortcut is created (social app Viber or Whatsapp - direct message to contact X) it becomes visible in the Contacts widget for that contact. However - if shortcut is deleted (in Shortcuts app) it remains inside Contacts widget and pressing it leads to nothing. Cant be removed. Mess..

- If you create folder in your iCloud which has the same name like some contact - that folder is visible in the contacts widget and cannot be removed. I appreciate the effort to help - but I would love to remove things I do not want or are incorrect.

These are just observations in 2 days. Being a Mac user for a year - that was the best decision ever, but iOS is becoming a mess. I appreciate the efforts put to increase customizations - but their execution is sloppy at best for something advertised as the most advanced mobile OS. Very down to earth view from someone who is not a fanboy and open to try something new

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Seems I found the solution for the issue 1. Search visual mess is caused by Reduced Motion being turned on. Still...

Coming from Android - iOS 15.1 on the flasghip Apple device is slow so I wanted to speed it up. But on iOS this feature is visually broken..

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Number 3 is clearly not a bug.
Its not a feature neither... not at this stage...

Imagine having 600 contacts in your phone and 200 folders in your iCloud - there is a big chance of unintentional overlap esp with shorter names.

If - on the other hand - I could choose to assign the folder to the contact - that would be a feature...

Now comes the moment when you ask me why would I have 600 contacts and 200 folders - as it was not meant to be used that way... Am I picking up?

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Every OS has issues, you’ve picked some fairly obscure ones to highlight here. I can’t switch to speakerphone on my Pixel for a while after adjusting the volume on a call, b/c the floating volume bar blocks the button.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There are dozens of other bugs you haven’t highlighted that you haven’t discovered yet. No version of iOS in the history of iOS has ever been perfect.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Given the astounding number of iOS bugs, design faux pas, and performance issues, the things listed seem totally trivial. Also if these are the kind of things that bother you to the point of rejecting an OS, I refuse to believe that Android has none of these issues. It appears to be a matter of bias and preference instead.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Given the astounding number of iOS bugs, design faux pas, and performance issues, the things listed seem totally trivial. Also if these are the kind of things that bother you to the point of rejecting an OS, I refuse to believe that Android has none of these issues. It appears to be a matter of bias and preference instead.

I can asure you that Android 9,10 and 11 have not a single glitch like this at least not in Samsung's OEM finalization.

There is clearly the benefit in public (open source) improvement of the code, which OEM can further overtake and "own".

Final result can differ depending on the OEM - but I have never seen a single glitch in Samsung's execution of it.

I just "deposited" 1200 USD for Iphone 13 Pro - as a testament to my openess - but this (iOS) as an unfinished product.

Having a visual glitch on the Homescreen of the 15th iteration of the "most advanced mobile OS" which is perceived as THE sinonym for UX - is pretty embarassing if you ask me...

Unless.. I am using it in a way which was not intended... :) and blame is on me...

I swear I just clicked "reduce motion" - the same setting I have on my M1 Mac.

Last edited:

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020

I would not call iOS an OS.

Under the hood and for Apple - yes... For the user - definitely not.

MacOS is an OS in a true sense of that word.

But anyway - done with my rant, caused with disappointed for what I payed for.

I clearly expected more in 2021, so 13 Pro goes back...

I am turning the lights off and see you in the future or on the Mac subforum.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I can asure you that Android 9,10 and 11 have not a single glitch like this at least not in Samsung's OEM finalization.

There is clearly the benefit in public (open source) improvement of the code, which OEM can further overtake and "own".

Final result can differ depending on the OEM - but I have never seen a single glitch in Samsung's execution of it.

I just "deposited" 1200 USD for Iphone 13 Pro - as a testament to my openess - but this (iOS) as an unfinished product.

Having a visual glitch on the Homescreen of the 15th iteration of the "most advanced mobile OS" which is perceived as THE sinonym for UX - is pretty embarassing if you ask me...

Unless.. I am using it in a way which was not intended... :) and blame is on me...

I swear I just clicked "reduce motion" - the same setting I have on my M1 Mac.
This has a litany of bugs listed fir Android. Scroll down for the most recent production bugs.

• Wow
Reactions: Taz Mangus

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
This has a litany of bugs listed fir Android. Scroll down for the most recent production bugs.

How could that be because Android is a “real” OS. The OP assured us that Android is a “real” OS. “Real” OSes don’t have bugs. “Real” always needs more emphasis. Can’t have too much “real”.

I thought it was particularly informative that the OP created not one but two threads to tell everyone about these bugs he found in the “not real” OS called iOS. Those that missed it in the first thread could read all about in the other thread. Very good way of covering his bases. Well done.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiggrToo

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
How could that be because Android is a “real” OS. The OP assured us that Android is a “real” OS. “Real” OSes don’t have bugs. “Real” always needs more emphasis. Can’t have too much “real”.

I thought it was particularly informative that the OP created not one but two threads to tell everyone about these bugs he found in the “not real” OS called iOS. Those that missed it in the first thread could read all about in the other thread. Very good way of covering his bases. Well done.

Well, that’s because @Leon1das doesn’t apparently actually know what an operating system actually is, and have instead created their own definition that sadly doesn’t meet the otherwise globally accepted meaning.

When you make up stuff you can imagine anything else that you feel proves your point.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Well, that’s because @Leon1das doesn’t apparently actually know what an operating system actually is, and have instead created their own definition that sadly doesn’t meet the otherwise globally accepted meaning.

When you make up stuff you can imagine anything else that you feel proves your point.
That list of issues for Android is staggering.

Reactions: TiggrToo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.