Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radianlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
I’ve noticed that the screen brightness / backlighting is uneven on my 2019 15” MacBook Pro. It’s brighter in the middle and dimmer on the left and right edges, particularly on the right. It’s most noticeable on a white background (documents, emails, etc.). I sent my MBP off to Apple and got the screen replaced, but the new one isn’t much better. I suspect this is a systemic issue with Apple’s screen manufacturer (BOE?), since the 15” and even some of the 13” MBPs on display at my local Apple store seem to have the same sort of issue. However, I didn’t notice this issue with other MacBook’s I’ve owned since 2006. Do others with the current generation of 15” MBP have this issue? I’m not sure whether it’s worth it to continue to play the screen lottery, but I somehow expect better for what MBPs cost . . .

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
I’ve noticed that the screen brightness / backlighting is uneven on my 2019 15” MacBook Pro. It’s brighter in the middle and dimmer on the left and right edges, particularly on the right. It’s most noticeable on a white background (documents, emails, etc.). I sent my MBP off to Apple and got the screen replaced, but the new one isn’t much better. I suspect this is a systemic issue with Apple’s screen manufacturer (BOE?), since the 15” and even some of the 13” MBPs on display at my local Apple store seem to have the same sort of issue. However, I didn’t notice this issue with other MacBook’s I’ve owned since 2006. Do others with the current generation of 15” MBP have this issue? I’m not sure whether it’s worth it to continue to play the screen lottery, but I somehow expect better for what MBPs cost . . .
Must be a bad batch of panels or something...if it's only slight, I'd just live with it. If it's significant, then I guess you'll have to decide if you're willing to go without your MBP for a few days/week again.

radianlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
One would think (or hope) that it’s just a bad batch, but a friend has a two year old 15” MBP with the same issue. I don’t have a problem sending the machine back again, but I wonder if all the screens are like this these days.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
I've got a new MBP 15" stuck in Louisville, KY for a couple of days now.

Once it finally arrives I'll evaluate the display. If there is one bit of unevenness, or any other problem, it is going straight back to Apple and I'll order another.

I'll keep doing this until I get one that has a screen as even as my 2017 model. For a machine that cost 5k, I require the display to be flawless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.