Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbn

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2015
I'm gonna buy the new 6 core 15 inch MBP soon.

My plan is to keep it for 2 years and sell it, to buy the 2020 model then.

I'm currently working fine with 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM. BUT since I have the option of bumping up from 16GB/512GB/2.6 GHz to 32GB/1TB/2.9 ghz, and paying around 33% extra, I started thinking whether it was worth it.

I don't know if the next year's macOS will consume a lot of more resources - making me wish i bought those extra RAM etc. Software tends to grow its needs as soon as the hardware becomes more powerful.

But on the other hand. How much extra can I expect with regards to the resale price in two years?

I took a look at some 2nd hand 2016 15" MBPs, and the prices were almost the same no matter if it was 2.7 or 2.9 ghz, 512GB or 1TB etc. - so the ones who bumped up the specs might have lost all that money.

BUT - a few years ago, the default premium option was like 2.3 ghz/8GB/256GB. Now it's 2.6 ghz/16GB/512GB.

What if we, in two year have a default premium option of 32GB/1TB/2.9 ghz?

Then I guess that a 2 year old 32GB/1TB/2.9 ghz machine will look more attractive, since the specs look like the current premium model, where 16GB/512GB/2.6 GHz might look like the default baseline model.

How will that affect the resale price?

I hope for some comments from people with experience in selling/buying used macs :) Thanks in advance!

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
You never got back the money for the higher specs.
Just buy what you need now. And in 2 years no way that macOS will need 32GB. Maybe in 20years

Reactions: jerryk

hectorvs

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
You never got back the money for the higher specs....

I can confirm this.

If the plan is to resell in a couple of years, I would get the base model (maaaybe upgrade the SSD to 512gb if needed). That will retain the best value.

Unfortunately that's how the market is, even buying AppleCare+ on the machine won't give you a higher resell value.

Edit:

To add to the argument, if someone has $2000k + to spend on a computer, they're probably looking at the newest models (which will potentially be similarly powered than the upgraded past version).

sbn

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2015
I know that my net loss is higher, if I buy a more expensive laptop and sell it later - of course.

But while the default premium config might be good enough for me, it'd be nice with the extra CPU,RAM and SSD.

Min main considereation is the 33% price increase - if I can expect that the resale price would be 0-5% higher in two years, those 33% extra will feel just like burning cash... But if I can expect a relatively higher price, it would feel a little less stupid to pay for bumping up.

Do you guys have any idea how it would affect the resale price, in numbers? Are we talking 0-5%, 5-10%, 10-20% or more? (probably not more, from what I understand...)

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
All upgrades will cause you to lose money, but I suspect that the worst upgrade value is the CPU. It's already pretty good and no one in the second hand market wants to pay more for a few % faster.

Perhaps you'll get some of your money back by increasing storage. I'd certainly pay more for 512GB over 256GB, but I suspect most other things aren't a priority for buyers.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Base models always have the best resale value in percentage terms.

There's no way macOS is going to need anything near 32GB in the foreseeable future. They're still selling a Mac mini with a dual core CPU and 4GB RAM.

Buy what you need, not what you think someone else might need a couple of years down the line. It's never worth it.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
As other people have said, buy the upgrades only if you need them now, as you generally won't get back the money when you sell the computer. Although there's a strong resale market for MBPs, people looking to purchase a used laptop are usually hunting for a reduced price, not for the highest specs.

If your plan is to sell and upgrade within 2-3 years, the base model usually gets you the best bang for the buck.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Burning cash to upgrade unless you need those upgrades.

Look at ebay sold items - you'll see how little upgrades add (aside from ssd/storage, which do add more).

sbn

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2015
Once that computer fails? After warrenty?

The same when you buy a used car.

The main difference is that a computer usually does not wear down the same ways as a car. And if you can get a nice laptop for 50% of the original price, you can also afford a repair or two, if 10% of the laptops you buy, should fail...

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
The same when you buy a used car.

The main difference is that a computer usually does not wear down the same ways as a car. And if you can get a nice laptop for 50% of the original price, you can also afford a repair or two, if 10% of the laptops you buy, should fail...
That’s the problem. It doesn’t have repairability once warrenty is over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.