Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lulubeyrouth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Hello all,

I upgraded my OS X to El Capitan to be able to run Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign mainly). Since the upgrade of the OS and upgrade of the Adobe Creative Suite, the computer randomly restarts no matter what I'm doing whether just surfing pages on Chrome or writing an email on Gmail.

The specs and crash report are attached.

What do I need to do to resolve this issue? Is it a RAM issue? Do I need to downgrade my OS?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 10.57.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 10.57.52 AM.png
    270.1 KB · Views: 373
  • crashReport-macbook.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 234

Yasser94

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Your model is known to have GPU issues.
You can test it using gfxCardStatus, its a small menu bar app that allows you to prevent your macbook from using your GPU and stay with the CPU internal graphics instead.
You can download this application for free at https://gfx.io

I would try it for analytic purposes(used it on the same model with the same issues before and it got fixed).
If you turn of automatic graphic switching and used gfxCardStatus and you no longer have issues,
you could try patching your graphic card with the MBPMid2010_GPUFix program.
You can download this patch at https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix

Keep in mind this patch wil lower your graphic card performance, so make sure it solves your issue using gfxCardStatus first; if you used this patch and still have problems your graphic card might be done for after 7 years of service. If this is true just use gfxCardStatus to permanently ignore your gpu.

Best of luck; I hope this works for you

note: I have OS X El Capitan running on a 2008 MacBook Pro with 4GB of ram without issues.

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This model suffers from an undersized capacitor rather than a gpu problem.

I highly recommend replacing the original c9560 capacitor with a higher-rated Panasonic.

Yasser94

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
This model suffers from an undersized capacitor rather than a gpu problem.

I highly recommend replacing the original c9560 capacitor with a higher-rated Panasonic.

You are right; yet if someone asks if this problem is caused because he lacks ram do you think it’s any help to suggest them replacing a capacitor on the motherboard ? People don’t work that way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.