Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I photographed a document today with my 15 Pro Max and noticed that the center is razor sharp, but the sides of the document are a little blurry. It still looks good overall, and is very readable, but the whole document is not tack sharp like it was with my 11 Pro Max.

Has anyone else noticed this? I want to know if it's just my phone (and thus it needs an exchange) or if it's an attribute of the new lens. My suspicions thinking like a photographer is maybe the depth of field is narrower due to the larger sensor and aperture, and that when the center of of the page is in focus, the edges are not since they're further from the lens? Taking the photo at an angle seems to confirm this.

Still, I want to make sure it's not something with my phone. One thing I did notice is that if I use the ultra-wide camera, the document is sharper overall, but I have to hold the phone closer which casts a shadow on the page. Seems you can't win. :)

Reactions: supermars

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I just tried and it looks fine. Also, are you trying to scan a document? Maybe try using the scan feature within Notes.

Reactions: ctjack

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I think the problem is that you entered Macro mode (automatically), which then uses the wide angle lens. Said lens tends to be blurry on the edges when you're close to the subject. Disable Macro mode and keep enough distance, and make sure you use the 1x lens, then it will be perfect.

learjet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2021
I have noticed the blur problem using the Files App‘s document scanning feature. There, you can‘t switch lenses. Have you also seen this behavior?

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
I have a 14 Pro Max and notice the same blur issue using the Files App scanning feature.

The process may take longer, but there is a better way for crisp images! :)

- Take your scans manually using the Photos App. (edit your photos if needed)​
- Copy the photos manually over and Paste them in the Files App.​
- Tap "Select" on the top right ellipsis menu (3 dots icon) in Files App.​
- Tag your photos.​
- Tap on the bottom right ellipsis menu and select "Create PDF".​
- Now your images are sharp quality in the PDF. 👍​
Other method...
- Then in camera roll view, tap on 'Select' and tag your photos.​
- Tap on the Share icon; then 'Save to Files'.​
- Now in the Files App; tap "Select" on the top right ellipsis (3 dots icon).​
- Tag your photos.​

Last edited:

learjet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2021
I have a 14 Pro Max and notice the same blur issue using the Files App scanning feature.

The process may take longer, but there is a better way for crisp images! :)

- Copy the photos manually over and Paste them in the Files App.​
- Tap "Select" on the top right ellipsis menu (3 dots icon) in Files App.​
- Tag your photos.​
Other method...
- Then in camera roll view, tap on 'Select' and tag your photos.​
- Tap on the Share icon; then 'Save to Files'.​
- Now in the Files App; tap "Select" on the top right ellipsis (3 dots icon).​
- Tag your photos.​
Can you create multi-page PDFs that way? /edit: yes, you can…

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
I think the problem is that you entered Macro mode (automatically), which then uses the wide angle lens. Said lens tends to be blurry on the edges when you're close to the subject. Disable Macro mode and keep enough distance, and make sure you use the 1x lens, then it will be perfect.
How to disable macro please ?

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
When you take a picture with the Camera app and you are very close to the document, the macro icon (which looks like a flower) will appear on the bottom left of the camera preview. Tap on it to disable.
Great ! Many thanks as I had been looking on in settings and could not see anything about macro

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
Great ! Many thanks as I had been looking on in settings and could not see anything about macro
Have a look in "Settings" > "Camera" - scroll down the bottom of the screen and you will see "Macro Control" - The description underneath explains what the option does! It may assist you!

learjet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2021
So, using the stock Camera and not the Files app, which lens/setting is best for photographing documents with an iPhone 15 Pro?

learjet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2021
And are you sure macro mode is not enabling itself? With 1x at 0.5m distance my documents look fine.
Macro mode was definitely switched off. My findings are somewhat different (maybe I‘ll post some photos tomorrow):
  • 1x IMO does offer the best image quality in central areas, but most visible peripheral blurriness,
  • 2x does cut image resolution in half, is a little bit better in terms of sharpness, but also has slight edge blur,
  • 3x does offer consistent sharpness also in peripheral areas, but looks noticeably grainy.
So: Use 3x?

ypmaiya

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
I use the iPhone for scanning documents on almost daily basis and I haven't observed any issue. I use the Adobe Scan: PDF & OCR Scanner app and it does an excellent job at scanning documents. Try using the app. Maybe it will help.

Johnbks

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
This is happening to me since iPhone 14 pro Max. Same things happen with 15 pro max. The problem is with the main camera and the focus of it. In my case I get the best quality with the macro setting, but the problem is that A4 documents, unfortunately don’t work with it and return to the main camera. I wish there was a setting that I could keep macto setting always on despite the distance and I wonder if there is an app that does that I could use it when I scan documents

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
I use the iPhone for scanning documents on almost daily basis and I haven't observed any issue. I use the Adobe Scan: PDF & OCR Scanner app and it does an excellent job at scanning documents. Try using the app. Maybe it will help.
I usev15 Pro with Scanner Pro. a free app which works just fine for documents Standard settings chosen by phone in 1x

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
With my 14 PM (and with previous 12 mini, XS and 8 plus) I use Adobe Scan. With this app you can save multiple scan in one single pdf without having big dimensions pdf. Very useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.