Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamInKent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Kent, England
JerryRigsEverything has posted a video that’s worth a watch if you are trying to decide between the Pro and Pro Max. It seems that the Pro Max back glass breaks pretty easily if the phone is flexed.

He also confirms that the PVD coatings are easily scratched.

So that’s made my mind up: a natural 15 Pro for me.

Last edited:

JuicyGoomba

macrumors member
May 20, 2021
Also for anyone who isn't wearing Tim Apple glasses, the Pro Max clearly has a design flaw in that there is a void behind the glass at a specific area.

Gotta love the blind rabid fanboys and their excuses and ignorance, but this is a flaw. It was a flaw on a OnePlus device too previously if I remember correctly.

Voids are bad, especially for something like a phone which is consistently exposed to various different pressures over the day. On top of that, voids will make anything "premium" feel cheap. Just look at the base iPad for example, with the abysmal screen it has due to the giant air pocket because Apple are far too cheap to implement a laminated display which costs nothing in this day and age.

Void = empty hollow sounds when you type or tap on the screen. No voids make the phone feel solid and "premium".

You put this phone in your pocket the wrong way around (screen outwards, back against your leg), I'd be worried about bending down to pick something up off the floor. Having your quad press right into the spot when the weakness is sounds like it could be an issue.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
There’s no glue/seal tape in the middle, only around the edge of the back glass. Max is bigger, thus it has a bigger air gap in the middle, which flexing or direct impact to it, will cause it to break. Aka, it’s fragile!

Last edited:

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Also for anyone who isn't wearing Tim Apple glasses, the Pro Max clearly has a design flaw in that there is a void behind the glass at a specific area.

Gotta love the blind rabid fanboys and their excuses and ignorance, but this is a flaw. It was a flaw on a OnePlus device too previously if I remember correctly.

Voids are bad, especially for something like a phone which is consistently exposed to various different pressures over the day. On top of that, voids will make anything "premium" feel cheap. Just look at the base iPad for example, with the abysmal screen it has due to the giant air pocket because Apple are far too cheap to implement a laminated display which costs nothing in this day and age.

Void = empty hollow sounds when you type or tap on the screen. No voids make the phone feel solid and "premium".

You put this phone in your pocket the wrong way around (screen outwards, back against your leg), I'd be worried about bending down to pick something up off the floor. Having your quad press right into the spot when the weakness is sounds like it could be an issue.
I don't think it will bend that easily if you put a case on, even if it's in the small backpack pocket or in your throusers back pocket. The area isn't big enough to put such a pressure on the iphone. Unlike the ipad which are indeed a disaster (I bought a super rigid case cuz I'm too much of a ***** to walk around with it naked in the bag)

And yes the amount of people actively defending a ****ing company that cares not about them in the slightest way is really sad, and means apple can get away with whatever they do and however they price their **** , so long as dumbasses will perpetuate this brand worship and religiously, vehemently defend apple's worst decisions and takes

Chinch07

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
I wouldn’t be so disappointed if it wasn’t for the 14 pro max being so durable.

We went from videos of people hitting the iPhone 14 PM with a hammer and the tables breaking before the phone did…. to this…

Reactions: AdamInKent

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I’ve always used a clear case and screen protector anyway. These phones are slippery and easy to drop. I’ve had every iPhone since the 4, I’ve never incurred any bends, dents or scratches other than some micro scratches on the screen if I didn’t use a screen protector. Dropped my 14PM on hardwood about 3 feet, not a scratch anywhere due to the case.

Reactions: OUsooner08

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
If watching that video made you decide which phone to purchase, you fell victim to an influencer in a bad way. The video isn't about helping people. It's about creating money for the person that made the video and nothing more.
Yup. Hence, I never trust on anyone videos. There are agendas in each video. Everyone’s experience is different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.