Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charlesrfinal

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2021
so you charge your phone to 100 % and the use it on low power mode for 2 days? is that correct?

would you share you battery analysis on iOS screenshot? for the last 10 days? would love to see how much screen on time you got?
I also have a PM would love to see if mine is within the margin of error. however just got it though need more cycles I guess
TIA
Doubt analysis would be relevant as I'm not a super heavy user.

My comparison is compared to my 14PM, which I just now traded in and got $650 for against the 15PM.

I take calls on my apple watch and have an iPad at work too; handoff probably saves me a lot of battery that way.

Comparing the 13Pm, 14Pm, and this 15PM. The battery life is much more comparable to my 13pm.

Reactions: Chris_99

4ik

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2003
Haven’t had this issues since the release until recent update. Phone gets hot after typing in notes (not a third party app) and drains battery 1% per minute) ….same goes for commenting on Facebook or even browsing in safari ….tried everting and had been suffering from this since last Saturday. Hope it’s a bug that will get updated

Chris_99

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
Doubt analysis would be relevant as I'm not a super heavy user.

My comparison is compared to my 14PM, which I just now traded in and got $650 for against the 15PM.

I take calls on my apple watch and have an iPad at work too; handoff probably saves me a lot of battery that way.

Comparing the 13Pm, 14Pm, and this 15PM. The battery life is much more comparable to my 13pm.

ok cool. but do you turn low power mode on ? once charged to 100% so you use you phone 2days on low power mode?

Fisser712

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
iPhone 11 here. Mine was getting hot after 17.1.1 but oddly only overnight.

Did a reset and restore and it seems to have fixed it for me.

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
15 Pro was getting quite hot while charging with original Apple 20w charger and original cable. A Hard Restart cured the problem. Now the phone is just normally warm while charging. Try Hard Restarting your phone.

colinw123

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Just got a 15 PM and just using the camera for a say 30 seconds I can feel a hot spot on the front, not checked the back as it’s in a case. I’ve had three of these phones due to display issues and they were all pretty much the same. In fact I was out somewhere web browsing on one of them and it got very hot.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
This is my suspicion, as well, which means the only solution for those suffering this fate is to send the units back. Good reason to wait until Apple's extended holiday return periods before buying a new phone.
Or potentially buy from Costco, who has a 90 day return policy on iPhones. Although, the major downsides appear to be (1) that Costco doesn't stock 1TB phones, and (2) that Apple Care+ comes bundled, but it's not the theft and loss protection and people have complained on reddit about Costco not properly registering their Apple Care+, so it seems like one might have to call Apple after buying the phone to make sure everything is in order and/or set up Apple Care+ with theft and loss

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
I don’t have any of the 15 phones but I’ve read plenty of threads here about heat issues on them.
They always follow the same course: The OP complains of a hot iPhone and then people comment. Some say that their 15x doesn’t get hot at all while some others will say that their phone gets hot too.

Yup lol, these threads are always full of people saying "no issues on mine" like it helps anything... Unless OP was under the impression that EVERYONE'S phone had this issue it's not really helpful information.

It isn’t an iOS 17 issue because some get hot and some don’t running the same OS.

This I don't agree with. For a few reasons, one being that Apple explicitly addressed it in one of their software updates. But secondly and more importantly, this logic doesn't track because there are reasons besides software that someone's phone could get hot (old battery, faulty app, faulty chip etc), so someone on iOS 16 having a phone get hot does not logically lead to the conclusion that iOS 17 can't be causing heat issues.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
I have a 15 Pro. Got it on launch day. At first, it would heat up to the extreme (couldn’t even hold it) and the battery would drain fast. After that software fix, the heat isn’t as extreme and the battery life is a little better. That being said, the iPhone still gets uncomfortably warm. This wasn’t as much of an issue with my previous 13 Pro and 14 Pro. I have a Peak Design case on the phone, which is really tight fitting, and when I play a light puzzle game or use take too many photos in a row, or something a little intensive, it gets uncomfortably warm. I’m definitely frustrated by this. I’m thinking about not using a case anymore. And I’m definitely going to upgrade again next year if there are thermal improvements.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Lucky you, it means you don’t have to pay for these high gas prices to keep yourself warm.

My iPhone 15 Pro Max only gets warm playing games such as Resident Evil 4, so I have to keep paying all these gas bills.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
One app that causes a lot of heat I have discovered is WhatsApp when it begins running a Chat Backup, I have no idea why this takes so much power but the phone gets incredibly hot when WhatsApp does this, another app is Google Photos backup.
Outside of these 2 apps my 15 Pro Max has been great, it does get a bit warm when using the camera for prolonged amount of time but nothing uncomfortable, however when WhatsApp or Google Photos do backups in the background the phone gets very toasty, something wrong with both apps.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I cannot really comment on the hardware though I grasp that some of the issues are inherent to the design and implementation of the iPhone 15 Pro Max. I have one and yes it gets hot at times.

My thoughts -

I wouldn't mind it so much save for the fact it 'ages' batteries faster and that could turn into an added expense later.

Apple plays way too many games with what is acceptable and what is not. Given the technology, monitoring heat can be done and multiple things could follow - a warning to the user, a warning and option to "slow down" or exit a suspect application or similar, and then throttle if need be to reduce heat.

It seems Apple took a page out of Gate's book on delivering product to the masses knowing there were flaws and saying they'll be a fix later. Apple went from being known as "it just works" to "it might just work."

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
My 15 Pm got slightly warm when I first moved my data and apps to it and has never done it again. I do not play games.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
So a few things have changed since my last post, why previous white 15 PM has been replaced with a black 15 PM, white one was stolen.

My Black Titanium 15 PM has a later build month (November 2023) than my white 15 PM (August 2023) and a few key things I have noticed are:
- Black 15 PM barely heats up, granted it is on iOS 17.4.1 which seems to have really solved all the remaining issues from launch. I have to say, 17.4.1 has been an incredibly stable update, my white 15 PM was also on it when it was taken and it was running beautifully on this update.
- The overall build of my Black 15 PM seems to be better, the back glass is sitting more consistently with the titanium frame, whereas my white 15 PM there was a slightly sharp area where the frame seemed to be sitting a little higher than the glass.
- Battery life definitely a lot better on 17.4.1 especially on the newer black 15 PM (white 15 PM was still on 100% battery health to).

Not sure if Apple made any minor adjustments in production with later builds of 15 PM but I am seeing slight improvements in my newer 15PM.

Overall, the random heating issue for me is gone, this one just gets warm/hot here and there when doing heavier tasks over a prolonged time like playing a heavy game like COD Warzone Mobile, which can get any phone toasty, especially because on 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max it runs at Peak Graphics.

Reactions: phrehdd

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Launch 15PM 512GB here - I have never noticed any warming issues. It gets a little warm while charging, which I'd expect, but have otherwise always been fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.