Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
Counting down to tomorrow's 15 Pro release and excited to test out the new video workflow capabilities with the USB-C port.

Details have been muddy around specs/requirements for ProRes video recording to external storage. From what I've gathered, the only known requirements at this point are that the SSD must be formatted to exFAT or APFS: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/13/iphone-15-pro-external-storage-prores/

Apple's Support site does have an iPhone 15 USB-C port specs page up, but the page linked that references ProRes recording seems to have not been updated since 2/3/23 and has no 15 Pro-specific mentions.

My main question is if we can utilize a USB-C splitter/hub to capture audio from an external mic whilst recording ProRes to external storage. To test this, I've ordered a USB-C splitter along with Apple's USB-C to Headphone Jack Adapter. For reference, I'll be using the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD. The splitter features a 3.1 and 2.0 speed port, so I will plan to plug the SSD to the 3.1 port and mic+adapter to the 2.0 port.

I tested this setup on my 15" MBA today and it's working as I hoped. When tested in Blackmagic, the SSD is producing speeds capable of writing and reading ProRes 422 at 4K60 and mic input is being captured from my lav mic. Set-up and test pics attached.

I'll update this thread once the 15 Pro is delivered tomorrow and I can test. Planning to shoot in 4K60 ProRes Log.

Will also be curious to see if the DJI Osmo Mobile 6 gimbal can handle the weight of this setup velcro-d together.

P.S. Apple's LUT profiles should be available tomorrow according to PetaPixel's review.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.48.33 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 9.48.33 AM.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 231

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My main question is if we can utilize a USB-C splitter/hub to capture audio from an external mic whilst recording ProRes to external storage. To test this, I've ordered a USB-C splitter along with Apple's USB-C to Headphone Jack Adapter. For reference, I'll be using the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD. The splitter features a 3.1 and 2.0 speed port, so I will plan to plug the SSD to the 3.1 port and mic+adapter to the 2.0 port.
Following this thread! USB-C hubs is a minefield for both iPads and Macs. Some work, whilst others only have partial functionality. I look forward to testing the ones that I have with my iPhone 15 Pro.

Reactions: AppleTech22

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
Confirmed that this splitter works for recording 4K 60 ProRes Log and audio via an external mic. Love to see it.

Also, Apple has updated their ProRes Support page with spec requirements for the 15 Pros. External storage must support "speeds of at least 220MB per second and maximum power draw of 4.5W."

The speed requirement is surprisingly lower than I expected, so I've ordered Samsung's Type-C flash drive that supports speeds of 400MB/S - which should do the trick. Will be a lot easier to rig up this tiny flash drive than velcro-mount the SSD when using a gimbal.

Will report back to confirm whether the Samsung drive does the trick.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Confirmed that this splitter works for recording 4K 60 ProRes Log and audio via an external mic. Love to see it.

Also, Apple has updated their ProRes Support page with spec requirements for the 15 Pros. External storage must support "speeds of at least 220MB per second and maximum power draw of 4.5W."

The speed requirement is surprisingly lower than I expected, so I've ordered Samsung's Type-C flash drive that supports speeds of 400MB/S - which should do the trick. Will be a lot easier to rig up this tiny flash drive than velcro-mount the SSD when using a gimbal.

Good info--What camera app are you using?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

Wow. That's amazing. 256GB isn't 1TB but the compactness and lightness of a thumb drive outweigh the benefits of a larger drive.

I might buy one and strictly use my T7 as the drive for rendering files.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
@dsteve, @Macalicious2011, @vinegarshots reporting back after a day of test shooting with this rig...

Amazon dropped the ball as my delivery of the Samsung Type-C flash drive was delayed, but thankfully I also ordered a 512GB Kingston DataTraveler Max as well to test. The Kingston claims write speeds of "up to 900MB/s" and seemed to be the more capable of the two drives. Plus, I welcome the 512GB and 1TB capacities as my use case will be long (30ish minute) 4K60 Log videos and the 256GB max capacity of the Samsung is a bit small to handle that. Upon receiving the Kingston, I tested quickly in Blackmagic and got around 850MB/s+, so shut the test down and figured all was good.

Bad news. On several clips recorded to the Kingston, I got stuttery footage indicative of varying write speeds. Sure enough, I tried the Blackmagic test again and made sure to let it run for a few cycles. Insanely bad variation - dropping to the 100-200MB/s range which is the likely culprit for the lag. I see a few reviews mentioning this as well.

To rule out the splitter being the cause, I tested the Kingston directly into my Mac's Thunderbolt 4 port. Additionally, I ran into no issues recording to the SanDisk SSD the night prior.

Given these tests, I believe neither the Kingston or Type-C would be suitable for 4K60 external recording and that SSD is the way to go. Next challenge is to brainstorm how to rig it up so it balances properly on the DJI gimbal.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsteve

MGMatrix

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Could you test if 4K60 is possible without external storage in the Blackmagic Camera app? I've read somewhere that it is possible and the 4K30 limitation is only in effect in the standart camera app, but it wasn't elaborated on further.

Thank you in advance.

PS: Take a look at this topic by Ryan P: Super minimal 4K 60 rig - I think this option is way handier than a USB stick. I imagine it's also better suited for a gimbal.

Last edited:

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
Could you test if 4K60 is possible without external storage in the Blackmagic Camera app? I've read somewhere that it is possible and the 4K30 limitation is only in effect in the standart camera app, but it wasn't elaborated on further.

Thank you in advance.
Just tested this, can confirm it works recording 4K60 ProRes Log to internal storage.

Granted, you will chew up storage space at a rapid pace and I do question thermals. Read that the main reason Apple restricts recording of 4K60 ProRes to external drives is thermal management, and in my ~15 second test, the phone was already noticeably warmer than when I was using the stock Camera app and an external drive.

But if you have a large capacity 15 Pro and just need to capture some short clips, this seems to be a viable option.

Reactions: MGMatrix

MGMatrix

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Thank you so much. Good to finally have confirmation. Can't wait to play around with it myself.

What I find curious that it seems to heat up way more though, since I'd think it does the same kind of processing when recording to an external drive and I doubt it's the storage heating up.

In any case, can't wait for more impressions and tests. 👍🏻

Reactions: AppleTech22

MGMatrix

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Sry, I couldn't figure out how to send you a PM on here. I don't know if you saw my edit earlier, since it wasn't included in your quote, so I'll paste it again here:

Take a look at this topic by Ryan P: Super minimal 4K 60 rig - I think this option is way handier than a USB stick. I imagine it's also better suited for a gimbal.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I bought a Sabrent 1TB Rocket to use for 4K Pro Res exports from the iPhone. It's pretty small and light. Cable is Afterplug Short USB-C to USB C Cable.

IMG_0039.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg

In the camera app settings - You need to enable Apple ProRes in Video Capture.

IMG_1592.PNG

I chose HDR encoding but here you can select Log if you prefer.

IMG_1593.PNG

This is what the camera video capture screen on the iPhone looks like which shows and allows you to change export settings and confirmation that video will be saved on external SSD.

IMG_1589.PNG

unplug the SSD from the iPhone and plug into your Mac and videos will appear in finder. The info panel reports the file as Apple ProRes 422 HQ

CleanShot 2023-09-24 at 20.49.21@2x.png

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Bad news. On several clips recorded to the Kingston, I got stuttery footage indicative of varying write speeds. Sure enough, I tried the Blackmagic test again and made sure to let it run for a few cycles. Insanely bad variation - dropping to the 100-200MB/s range which is the likely culprit for the lag. I see a few reviews mentioning this as well.
Wow. Thanks for letting us know. Please share if you come across any reliable thumb sticks that achieve a consistent 400mb/sec+ speed whilst recording.

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I just tested this with a one min test, came is at 13gb. No frame drops. Insane write speed. Only weighs 30 grams. iPhone reported 144min of recording time available.

DiskSpeedTest.png

61bQ-k9UrAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Macalicious2011

clintljohnson

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
I've successfully tested ProRes on iPhone 15 Pro running 4k@60 using: SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD - Up to 1050MB/s - USB-C, USB 3.2 Gen 2 - External Solid State Drive - SDSSDE61-1T00-G25

What I would like to do is also power the phone at the same time. Has anyone tested a solution to split USB-C while recording and still provide power to the phone?

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
Great news all.

I received the highly flexible, short USB-C cable that @Ryan P highlighted in their thread. The best way to attach to the Osmo Mobile 6, imo, is velcro-ing to the top of the phone mount. I found that you'll need to angle the SSD slightly as shown. This has worked flawlessly - getting no weight or balance errors in the DJI Mimo app - and the SSD is confidently secure for walking/panning - though running may cause the velcro to disconnect.

While I would have loved to velcro to the back for the most secure mounting, there isn't a great position to do so with the arm of the gimbal. Regardless, very satisfied with this rig.

On the audio side, I am simply clipping the lav mic onto the flexible USB-C cable, which works well.

Important note regarding the splitter. I ran into issues Sunday getting the 15 Pro to recognize the SSD when both were plugged in, but unplugging and re-plugging the cables in would occasionally do the trick. After testing this further, I found that you must first connect the the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter+mic and then the SSD. When connecting the SSD first, it must draw too much of the bandwidth and not enough is left for the mic input to be delivered/recognized. I tried this order of cable connecting several times and have had consistent results.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

kspencer

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
Hello folks. So I've tried this as well with some level of success. However, I was going with this 3-way splitter to do output to an external drive, a microphone audio input, plus connecting an external power supply (v-mount battery). Although I can get any 2 to work at once, I can never have 3 to work simultaneously. Maybe there is something about the way USB-C ports work that makes this impossible? Or maybe I would need a USB-C hub instead of a splitter because of processing needs? Would love to get anyone's take on this.

PS, I did see that the description for the 3-way splitter specifically mentions that the cable does "NOT support video signal transmission". However, at the cost, I wanted to give it a shot, and it DID work with just 2 devices at a time.

Now I'm considering getting this hub instead to see if maybe it could, in fact, allow me to do all 3 audio input, video recording and power input all at once. Any thoughts on why I shouldn't even consider trying this? Is this something that iOS17 or the physical capabilities of the usb-c port on the phone will even allow?

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011

MCap

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2021
Great news all.

I received the highly flexible, short USB-C cable that @Ryan P highlighted in their thread. The best way to attach to the Osmo Mobile 6, imo, is velcro-ing to the top of the phone mount. I found that you'll need to angle the SSD slightly as shown. This has worked flawlessly - getting no weight or balance errors in the DJI Mimo app - and the SSD is confidently secure for walking/panning - though running may cause the velcro to disconnect.

While I would have loved to velcro to the back for the most secure mounting, there isn't a great position to do so with the arm of the gimbal. Regardless, very satisfied with this rig.

On the audio side, I am simply clipping the lav mic onto the flexible USB-C cable, which works well.

Important note regarding the splitter. I ran into issues Sunday getting the 15 Pro to recognize the SSD when both were plugged in, but unplugging and re-plugging the cables in would occasionally do the trick. After testing this further, I found that you must first connect the the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter+mic and then the SSD. When connecting the SSD first, it must draw too much of the bandwidth and not enough is left for the mic input to be delivered/recognized. I tried this order of cable connecting several times and have had consistent results.
Hi AppleTech22. How do you setup DJI MIMO app to record on external SSD? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.