Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Hello,

My 15-year-old daughter cannot add her debit card to the Wallet. No specific reason is given, just a generic error message, like "Apple Pay cannot be set up for this account", or something along those lines, which at first I thought had to do with her age. However, a quick search revealed that the minimum age for Apple Pay is supposed to be 13. So, why can't she add her card? Is there anything I should do on my end, in the family cloud settings, as a parent/organizer?

Thank you.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not all card issuers support Apple Pay, so, her debit card might be one of them. Check with the bank/issuer to see if they support it.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I'm aware of that, but she doesn't even get to the point where the card details are requested. She receives an error message as soon as she touches the "add card" button. It's Apple Pay itself, not just her particular card, that doesn't seem to work for her.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The age restrictions vary by country and region according to Apple Support, so I'm guessing that could be a factor in your country. See footnote 2 in the article below.

Reactions: Vlad Soare

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yep, and or might also be tied into Family Sharing. I get the feeling that anyone under 18 cannot have their own payment methods for their Apple ID. Need to use Apple Cash.

Quick web search turns up a number hits where people are trying to do this with no success for a number of years now.

Reactions: Vlad Soare

philpalmiero

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
NOVA
Apple Cash would not permit my minor child to use Apple Cash. It was unfortunate too because it is an excellent method to make sure your child has money.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I'm not trying to set up Apple Cash - meaning the service that creates a virtual card for her and allows me to send her money from my phone. She just wants to add her physical debit card to her Wallet, so she can pay with her phone instead of having to carry the card all the time - just the basic part of Apple Pay.

Indeed, it may be that the age restriction varies by country, though I can't for the life of me find out what the age limit might be in Romania. All I can find on the internet is 13.
On the Apple Romania web site there's exactly the same text, only translated into Romanian. It says the minimum age is 13 and can vary by country. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I would think her debit card's bank might be able to advise you about the minimum age in Romania since it's actually the banks that authorize the service. At least having that info would help narrow down the issue. If the minimum age in Romania is actually under 15, then it points to Family Sharing as a possible culprit.

Reactions: NoBoMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.