Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I've got a basic car mount that fits my car beautifully! A very solid metal plate that is retained between two air vents.

In the middle, a crude magnet on a swivel ball.

My 15PM will attach (using a metal plate stuck to the case). But there are issues:
  • The magnet doesn't seem strong enough to trust. It's OK on smooth road, but not sure it would keep the phone attached over rough ground.
  • The distance from the plate to the phone is too short. It can only adjust by a few degrees.
  • The phone ends up smack in front of the vents which, in winter in particular, is far from optimal.
To overcome these issues, I've been looking at ones like the Yosh (bottom left) which probably has a sufficiently good Magsafe-type magnet and a long enough arm to get the phone slightly higher and out of the airstream.

But almost all similar ones rely on adhesive pads. Which really won't work with the plate. And it is very hard to tell from the hundreds of listings whether there is any possibility of adapting things and attaching them with a screw.

I'm sure I could come up with something if I put some time and effort in, but just hoping someone has already trodden this path. Or has some suggestions.

I don't need charging but wouldn't mind if it ends up with it.

1700599056974.png

T

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Use this in 2 cars

Love it

Reactions: nxt3

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Use this in 2 cars

Love it
Thank you - I can see quite a number of good reviews around.

However, it doesn't lift the phone up at all, and it would have almost no adjustment. I looked at their other models with various arms, etc., but cannot see an obvious way of fixing any of the to my "batwing" base plate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.