Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Hi guys,

I recently noticed this issue since it started affecting my work (audio sessions in Nuendo) and started tracking the problem.

The AMD Radeon Pro 5500m in my 16" Macbook Pro stays at around 98-99% memory load even while just watching a video on Youtube in Safari. This is with an external display connected, so I can't switch to iGPU and my Radeon High Side is only around 6W-10W depending on the video resolution. My Radeon High Side also idles at 5-6W with the external 32" LG monitor connected. But, the GPU memory on iStat starts around 75% and just climbs up. The Radeon processor seems to be fine as well. It's only the memory utilisation.

Now, when running my Nuendo sessions, the GPU memory sits at around 99% and as the CPU and RAM load gets higher and higher, the session starts glitching. I get a 2-3sec beachball every 10 secs, just moving the timeline around, opening plugins etc. CPU is at around 20% at this point and RAM around 40GB. I assumed it might have been only this session. But once I started checking, even Safari playing a video seems to push the memory to max load.

I don't know if this is a recent development, since I've run quite a few CPU intensive sessions before and the only difference is that the RAM usage wasn't as high as the current session. But, this is unworkable for me due to the constant glitches at higher loads. A lot of time is wasted staring at the beachball.

I'm on macOS 10.15.4. I don't know if the new update has any improvements on this. I saw another poster mention this a while back in December.

Anybody got any thoughts on how to fix this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 10.05.05 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 10.05.05 AM.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 480

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
This sounds like a memory leak. Have you been able to track the GPU memory use to any specific program? Maybe try a clean macOS install or a guest user account and see if it’s the same. If it’s the same in all instances I would look to others with a similar computer and ask if they see the same on the same OS, and if so I would assume we’re looking at a memory leak in the GPU driver

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Yeah, it does look like some sort of a memory leak. I'll wait to see if other users have similar issues, especially during simple tasks like watching Youtube.

A re-install will be such a pain. I have quite a few active sessions as well. So, really not looking forward to that.

With no display connected it seems to be perfectly fine, even opening sessions. Wouldn't a memory leak affect that as well?

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
I would try updating, its actually has a battery management feature built in. It may not resolve your memory leak problem but the first question Apple support will ask you is "Are you running the newest version of macOS?"

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I would try updating, its actually has a battery management feature built in. It may not resolve your memory leak problem but the first question Apple support will ask you is "Are you running the newest version of macOS?"

Yeah, I'll do the update. I was worried since the last update bricked some people's Macs and I have active sessions.

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Depends. If it's a memory leak in the GPU driver it could be exclusive to something going on while a display is connected

Yep, something strange is definitely going on. Now, even Logic sessions start glitching if I open any plugin or graphic intensive windows while the external monitor is connected. I'll do the update and check.

I'm also connected to the Caldigit dock, so I'll swap to either direct or HDMI and see if the issue gets resolved.

Nellie71

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2020
I’m also seeing this on MacBook with Radeon 560 pro, GPU memory usage gradually grows until exhausts at 100%, then get stuttering/lag in videos, games etc..was hoping that latest supplemental update for 10.15.6 might fix (although appreciate was for virtualisation issue), I cant see how using an external display would max out a dedicated 4GB graphics card?, definitely think something has broken memory management between CPU and Intel GPU/AMD Radeon dedicated GPU..

robbix

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
Hi everyone, I had the same issue and, sincerely, I don't want pass to silicon solution now. My MacBook Pro has 4GB of VRAM for its Radeon 5500M GPU.
After many times I fix the problem with this steps
- clean launchd(s), daemon(s) and self-star application not used
- create for web browsers and whatsApp a launch script whit Automator with a string like this "open /Applications/Whatsapp.app/ --args --disable-gpu"
- use mac with clamp closed

- sometime when the GPU raises 100% of usage, open and close clamp (I don't know why this step fix the problem but the VRAM usage passes from 100% to 10% in a second).
I hope I help someone.
RB

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Anybody got any thoughts on how to fix this issue?
Probably not what you want to hear, but what I would do (and did):

Sell up while the selling is good (people still wanting intel machines specifically because they have legacy apps or want eGPU or whatever), and jump on any (even original M1) Apple Silicon machine and have zero fan noise in that situation with better performance.

This isn't really a software or "you're doing it wrong" problem. All the intel Macbooks are relative furnaces, especially the ones with rocket lake or comet lake CPUs in them. Its likely starting to beachball due to thermal throttling, etc.

robbix

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
In addition to the first comment: now I putted the Mac on a stand, I set the fan at max ever (i.e. when I'm going to start a Premiere session) and my air conditioner is always on! Futhermore, I turn off overclock using Turbo Boost Switcher. Having done a lot of testing I think the thermal throttling mechanism observes the temperature gradient (and CPU utilization gradient) and not just the temperature value, probably a PID controller is implemented in the chipset to prevent excessive CPUs overheating.

robbix

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
In the end I bought some star screwdrivers and after disassembling the MacBook I cleaned the two fans of a mountain of dust with a brush!!!
Now I have a new MacBook Pro, it is reborn!!!

kagibson2

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2022
I have this problem when using Premiere and it's driving me crazy. I can't do my job that I bought this "Pro" laptop to do.

robbix

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
I have this problem when using Premiere and it's driving me crazy. I can't do my job that I bought this "Pro" laptop to do.
Try to clean up the fans of your MacBook Pro and keep at least half empty the internal driver, You'll see the change take place immediately.
Obviously, when working with Premiere you must try to close all other software, especially web-browsers. I have implemented scripts with Automator to open e.g. Opera, Firefox, Chrome or WhatsApp Desktop without GPU acceleration, I attach the scrrenshot of one below.

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-08-11 alle 16.25.15.png
    Schermata 2022-08-11 alle 16.25.15.png
    442 KB · Views: 89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.