Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of the hypothetical 16-inch MBP keyboard layout?

• Total voters

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
Hey all, so I saw a tweet shared by MacRumors regarding a potential 16-inch MacBook Pro icon found buried in macOS. Not sure if that's real, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I noted a break at either end of the top row of the keyboard, where the Touchbar would be, which results in two separate buttons flanking the touchbar. I'm guessing the leftmost button will be an escape key, so the rightmost button could be a huge power button with a massive Touch ID sensor.

So, I quickly photoshopped a current 15-inch MacBook Pro image with the hypothetical 16-inch MBP keyboard layout, and altered the screen (but note that I did not increase its footprint to match the icon shown in the Tweet).

Here it is:

mbp15touch-space-select-201807.jpeg

If the icon leak is true, I believe Apple might be reinstating a physical escape key because I read somewhere that programmers who use the escape function are accustomed to the tactile feeling of a physical key, and a virtual button just isn't that practical. A physical key is also more reliable, and will work even if the Touchbar freezes up.

I'm not sure about the power button/Touch ID sensor though. It seems excessively large. I feel that Face ID would make a lot of sense for a Mac, more so than the iPhone in my opinion, given that the user will almost always be looking straight at the sensor in one orientation only while using a Mac. No weird facial angles that the sensor can't recognize. That being said, I guess symmetry is very important to Apple, based on the leaked icon...so we may or may not get a fat Touch ID button.

Thoughts?

Reactions: arn

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I feel like many of us had the following expectations for the new 16" MBP - (1) the bezels would be as thin as they are on the iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro, and they would be rounded at the edges, (2) as a result of the thin bezels, we'd see a 16" screen in the same body as the current 15" model, (3) the keyboard would be redesigned with greater key travel, and we'd see a physical escape key.

If this icon is legitimate, we may infer the following:
  • The bezels are not as thin as some of us had hoped, and they're not rounded at the edges.
  • The body appears to be larger than the existing 15" design.
  • Though it's incredibly hard to infer from this icon, the keyboard appears to be very similar to the existing design and it doesn't appear that they keys are any higher than they are now. If that last point is true, it doesn't necessarily mean that the key travel is the same, but the keyboard does appear to have the same flat design. It does appear that there is a separate physical escape key.
I wasn't in the market for this laptop but instead a redesigned 13/14" when Apple prioritizes it. However, if this icon is accurate, I'm not excited to see the direction that they’ve taken with the 2019/2020 MacBook Pro redesign.

Last edited:

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I love it. I own a 15" 2018 MBP and I'm looking at the screen right now. It's quite feasible to squeeze in an extra 1" of screen into this thing without compromising body size too much more than a few 1/16"s.

However, how thin can the bezels get without sacrificing build integrity and durability? If the bezels are too thin, it would be quite easy due to frequent opening/closing of the lid and crack the fragile screen.

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
If it's real, it's exactly what they should have done in the first place. A compromise most of the complainers would be happy with. Some wold still hate it and wish it was just a normal function row but at least a physical escape key to mirror the physical TouchID power button would be better than what they have now.

Speaking of which, just give us FaceID on the MacBook and iMac already!

Reactions: splitpea

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
If it's real, it's exactly what they should have done in the first place. A compromise most of the complainers would be happy with. Some wold still hate it and wish it was just a normal function row but at least a physical escape key to mirror the physical TouchID power button would be better than what they have now.

Speaking of which, just give us FaceID on the MacBook and iMac already!
Agreed.

Also, since Apple has decided to supersede Touch ID with Face ID on its high-end iOS devices, I think it's perfectly rational to bring Face ID over to high-end Macs (MacBook Pro, iMac Pro), which are far more expensive than iPhones and iPad Pros.

I believe that, by now, the cost of Face ID components should be low enough for it to be implemented in all future MacBook Pro models. Having Face ID will further differentiate the MBP from the Air (just like the iPad Pro and Air) and entice more people.

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
I love it. I own a 15" 2018 MBP and I'm looking at the screen right now. It's quite feasible to squeeze in an extra 1" of screen into this thing without compromising body size too much more than a few 1/16"s.

However, how thin can the bezels get without sacrificing build integrity and durability? If the bezels are too thin, it would be quite easy due to frequent opening/closing of the lid and crack the fragile screen.

Durability is definitely an important factor to consider, especially for professional-grade devices. The current generation design suffers from keyboard and thermal issues mainly because Apple wanted to build a thinner, more aesthetically appealing laptop, but in the process, it likely compromised on functionality and reliability.

Ultra thin bezels will certainly make the design look futuristic and very attractive, but will Apple be able to ensure it's robust and dependable enough for professional users everyday? Will it be better for Apple to stick to a less ambitious design, with thicker bezels and increased device footprint, for a lower price and higher reliability?

I think Apple certainly dreams of pushing the limits of design and defying what's currently possible. However, the recent "butterfly" keyboard woes have led to rumors of Apple deciding to return to traditional scissor-mechanism keys for upcoming MacBook Pros. The seemingly innovative "trash can" Mac Pro was criticised by pros and is now replaced with a more conventional, pragmatic tower design.

The leaked icon (if legitimate) is an indication that Apple is taking a step back and focusing more on the functionality of a truly "professional" laptop, and less on the design appeal. I'm sure the physical escape key (if it's indeed real) is also a step back from the virtual, dynamic buttons of the Touchbar that Apple believed would be "cool" and useful.

I think Apple is still shrinking the bezels, and keeping the thin chassis, but the changes wouldn't be as drastic as many had believed it would be. Apple might be more conservative this time, and therefore needs to increase the laptop's size to fit a larger screen.

A physical escape key (for programmers), larger, more reliable display, a dependable keyboard, and maybe more ports, would be among the things I believe professionals want more than a futuristic slim bezel display, but this is just my opinion...

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
I feel like many of us had the following expectations for the new 16" MBP - (1) the bezels would be as thin as they are on the iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro, and they would be rounded at the edges, (2) as a result of the thin bezels, we'd see a 16" screen in the same body as the current 15" model, (3) the keyboard would be redesigned with greater key travel, and we'd see a physical escape key.

If this icon is legitimate, we may infer the following:
  • The bezels are not as thin as some of us had hoped, and they're not rounded at the edges.
  • The body appears to be larger than the existing 15" design.
  • Though it's incredibly hard to infer from this icon, the keyboard appears to be very similar to the existing design and it doesn't appear that they keys are any higher than they are now. If that last point is true, it doesn't necessarily mean that the key travel is the same, but the keyboard does appear to have the same flat design. It does appear that there is a separate physical escape key.
I wasn't in the market for this laptop but instead a redesigned 13/14" when Apple prioritizes it. However, if this icon is accurate, I'm not excited to see the direction that they taken with the 2019/2020 MacBook Pro redesign.

Perhaps Apple will wait for Mini-LED display technologies to be ready before introducing ultra slim bezel displays, to really sell the new design. Right now Apple's focus should be more on reliability and functionality, in my opinion.

The scissor-mechanism keyboard is a step back from the thinner, aesthetically appealing (arguable) but fragile "butterfly" keys. So I think the leaked icon is an indication that Apple is trying to be conservative and more cautious when it decides to increase the device footprint to accommodate a larger screen, instead of trying to fit a bigger screen in the same display housing. Less risky, for now I guess. However, since the icon isn't proven to be authentic, what I'm saying is just pure speculation.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Even if I’d like an edge to edge screen, I can appreciate Apple’s decision to prioritize function over form, if that’s what they decide to do with this 16” model. Still, I can’t see them really delivering on pure function (or pure form for that matter). If function were their focus, they’d return to a close variant of the old keyboard design, they’d bring back the SD card slot, and the deliver other functional specs that pros were requesting. I hate to say it, but I don’t expect this from Apple. I expect much of the same from the 2016-2019 designs but with minor tweaks. We’ll likely see a similar keyboard design but with a scissor enclosure over a butterfly enclosure. I’m not expecting more key travel from the new design, even if it’s my number one feature request. Sadly, I do expect to see the bezel design in this icon, not the full edge to edge design that I was praying for. Apple isn’t pushing boundaries in their laptops anymore, pure and simple. I’m saddened by that because I love Mac OS and all it’s joys (ease of use, intuitiveness, handoff functionality, etc), and I just can’t see myself moving to a Lenovo X1 Carbon or a Dell XPS 13, even though I know they’re far better than what Apple is producing these days. Alternatively, I wish that I could pick up an iPad and feel like it’s second nature, but I’m always left confused and angry with the software design choices they they’ve made. And I simply need a cursor and a trackpad, it’s how I learned to ride the bicycle. I know I’m not the only one here that feels this way, but I’m amazed at the fall from grace we’ve seen with the MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: splitpea

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I do not care about bezels, I do not care about how thin it is, only thing I care about is performance.

heck, I would be content even with 2007 chassis for MBP, just give me machine that works, and does the job I want it to do! Give me machine that is capable of performing the tasks without being constrained by the form factor.

For those who are obsessed with bezels and thinness, give them MacBook/MacBook Air.

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
It just looks the same to me. An inch of screen is nice, keeping the same formfactor. Nothing else has changed besides the screen, thinkness (for thermals and the new keyboard) which is great, and an obvious spec bump and possibly an esc key. No redesign? I mean you can only modify a rectangle so many ways. Throw in Face ID and you have my attention.

I really dont think this is gonna be a 3k machine. Eventually this will replace the 15’ and the early rumors reported that the 13’ will get the same treatment to 14’. Either way, nothing substantial that wows me. I wont be upgrading until possibly the next round of “redesign” in 4 years.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
This touch bar is so useless and just increases the price. If at all apple should completely remove the keyboard and track pad and a full touchscreen like input divice there.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
This touch bar is so useless and just increases the price. If at all apple should completely remove the keyboard and track pad and a full touchscreen like input divice there.

I think that’s the destination of the route that they’re on, but I don’t think any Pros are interested in losing a physical keyboard. Most Pros have been disappointed by the low key travel keyboard we now have along with the non physical function key row. They just have no choice but to deal with it unless they want to go to Windows.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I tried the latest 2019 keyboards at BB this past week and was not impressed with either the tactile feel of the keys and the lack of a tactile Esc key, which, to me, is indispensible for force-quitting (Command+Option+Esc) stubborn or otherwise misbehaving applications. I much prefer my girlfriend's mid-2014 MBP keyboard and the Brydge keyboard for my iPad pro.

A dedicated tactile/chiclet function key row (for us folks who like to keep our eyes on the screen and whose fingers instictively know where to go) along with and additional touchbar would seem the best win-win solution. (Um, inverted-T arrow keys, please?!)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
Disappointed they retained the exact same 4 years old design. Yeah they dumped a physical escape key, and squeeze an extra 1" into the frame but it's still on 17" nor XDR OLED.

What would be great is a full touch iPad-style keyboard with local taptic engine that would send you a feedback every time you press a virtual key and that would support apple pencil. No need for huge trackpad either since it would be incorporated into the surface.

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
Disappointed they retained the exact same 4 years old design. Yeah they dumped a physical escape key, and squeeze an extra 1" into the frame but it's still on 17" nor XDR OLED.

What would be great is a full touch iPad-style keyboard with local taptic engine that would send you a feedback every time you press a virtual key and that would support apple pencil. No need for huge trackpad either since it would be incorporated into the surface.

Such a design would be cool but I think the technologies required wouldn't be ready in 2020, by Apple's standards. Given the generally unfavorable response to the virtual buttons on the Touchbar by pro users (hence the rumored return of a physical escape key), I believe a virtual keyboard wouldn't be very welcomed either, at least not right now.

Haptic feedback will replicate the sensation of a physical click, but the keyboard will still lack the tactile feel of the keys, which is perhaps one reason why the Touchbar isn't very well liked. Apple's Force Touch trackpad is great, but I don't think a Force Touch virtual keyboard will be ready in 2020.

But looking forward, I am interested to see a dual-screen MacBook in the future, once the technologies needed have matured enough.

Reactions: Ploki

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
Such a design would be cool but I think the technologies required wouldn't be ready in 2020, by Apple's standards. Given the generally unfavorable response to the virtual buttons on the Touchbar by pro users (hence the rumored return of a physical escape key), I believe a virtual keyboard wouldn't be very welcomed either, at least not right now.

Haptic feedback will replicate the sensation of a physical click, but the keyboard will still lack the tactile feel of the keys, which is perhaps one reason why the Touchbar isn't very well liked. Apple's Force Touch trackpad is great, but I don't think a Force Touch virtual keyboard will be ready in 2020.

But looking forward, I am interested to see a dual-screen MacBook in the future, once the technologies needed have matured enough.

In time, it might happen, Apple doesn't mind imposing it's view on the consumer (e.g. removal of audio jack, USB-C only laptops etc.).

I can think of a way: a 3D touchscreen. Picture a pinscreen toy, but replace the large metal pins with millions of tiny pixel rods that can go up and down.
  • When the touchscreen enters "Keyboard mode" every pixel rods would be raised and display the keyboard layout. When you press a virtual key, all the pixel rods pertaining to this key would replicate the motion of a real key and send you a haptic feedback or a click sound.
  • When "Keyboard mode" is off, all the pixels are lowered and you can use the surface as a tablet.
  • You can even have "Hybrid mode" half tablet half keyboard customizable on your needs.
This is the closest thing to my idea I could find online:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

There are patents for a translucent shaped keyboard from apple dating back to 2010 (i cant find the oldest one)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
From what I've seen that looks about right for the layout. Hopefully the mechanism will feel better to type on and be more durable in the face of those pesky quarks getting jammed in underneath.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Though it's incredibly hard to infer from this icon, the keyboard appears to be very similar to the existing design and it doesn't appear that they keys are any higher than they are now.

The keyboard can't protrude above the level of the case or it would be greasy-key-marks-on-the-screen time again - the whole keyboard sits in a 'dish' that puts the top of the keys level with the top of the case. The pre-butterfly models had a much deeper 'dish'. Also, even with "scissor" keys, they're likely to be closer to the Magic KB 2 design which is only about 2/3 the height of the original keys. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference even from an actual photo taken at that angle - let alone what is likely a 3D-rendered model with limited detail.

I see that it looks slightly bigger, I also see the two 'breaks' at the ends of the touch bar, but I wouldn't read too much into the image - except it does seem to confirm an imminent release (the icon could have been added in any point release of Catalina).

Disappointed they retained the exact same 4 years old design.

The only way they could improve the 4-year-old design would be to make a slightly larger/thicker version with better cooling and maybe space for more ports - and the "leaked icon" doesn't necessarily rule out a slightly thicker case (even if the 'model' included that detail, it would be disguised by the curve of the underside). Otherwise, its a classic design that has only changed in thickness/colour since 2008 and doesn't need to.

Anyway, since it does look as if this is going to land Real Soon Now, I'm sure it's a 'quick fix' for customers who (understandably) won't touch the butterfly keyboard, consisting of 2019's innards in 2020/21's case. Serious spec improvements will probably have to wait for the next gen of Intel chips.

Reactions: Ploki

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
The keyboard can't protrude above the level of the case or it would be greasy-key-marks-on-the-screen time again
Check surface laptop 3, i wonder how it will work.. keys dont protrude above the case but it no longer has the rubber layer from the display

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
In time, it might happen, Apple doesn't mind imposing it's view on the consumer (e.g. removal of audio jack, USB-C only laptops etc.).

I can think of a way: a 3D touchscreen. Picture a pinscreen toy, but replace the large metal pins with millions of tiny pixel rods that can go up and down.
  • When the touchscreen enters "Keyboard mode" every pixel rods would be raised and display the keyboard layout. When you press a virtual key, all the pixel rods pertaining to this key would replicate the motion of a real key and send you a haptic feedback or a click sound.
  • When "Keyboard mode" is off, all the pixels are lowered and you can use the surface as a tablet.
  • You can even have "Hybrid mode" half tablet half keyboard customizable on your needs.
This is the closest thing to my idea I could find online:

I think having USB-C ports exclusively annoyed many pro users, but since the industry is quickly adopting USB-C, things aren’t too bad. The butterfly keyboard, on the other hand, just did not work out. There’s simply no way for people to embrace a supposedly fragile, unreliable keyboard design. Hence rumors of Apple returning to a scissor keyboard.

The 3D keyboard sounds great in theory, but I believe such a feature would just add costs to the already hefty price of a MacBook Pro. Apple must demonstrate that such a feature will be worth the money, while ensuring it will be reliable.

I definitely appreciate Apple’s constant efforts in introducing new ideas and innovations, but I think pro users will prefer better performance and reliability over radical new features and aesthetic changes. Perhaps Apple should introduce a dual-screen “MacBook X” with virtual keyboard alongside a traditional keyboard MacBook Pro with spec refresh (once the technologies are ready), to cater to everyone.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I definitely appreciate Apple’s constant efforts in introducing new ideas and innovations, but I think pro users will prefer better performance and reliability over radical new features and aesthetic changes. Perhaps Apple should introduce a dual-screen “MacBook X” with virtual keyboard alongside a traditional keyboard MacBook Pro with spec refresh (once the technologies are ready), to cater to everyone.
they did that in 2012 with 1st gen retina

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.